Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

SAT Reading Scores LOWEST in 40 years

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://news.yahoo.com/sat-reading-scores-lowest-theyve-40-years-204658542.html

Do you read to your kids? How often?

Do you think the scores are the result of migration to the US, two working parents, genetic/inability, technology/TV, apathetic attitude or another reason?

Granted, English is a tough language but other countries are teaching children native and English languages. So if other kids are learning more than one language, then why can't US kids make the grade??

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyrosenj
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

My children are older so no I don't read to them often.  My daughter and I will often read the same book so we can discuss.  When she gets my old kindle we can start doing that again, I can't wait!  My son hates reading and will only do what is required for college.

AllThatJazzy
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM
My son is three and loves for me to read to him. I really hope that he continues to love reading!
It really is sad that our society isn't doing better considering they are only learning one language as opposed to other countries.
But is technology really to blame? A lot of the games on my sons leap pad read aloud the words on the screen so he can follow along...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleswampfox
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
While I see first hand the reading disparities that exist at the high school level, I also think the score drop has to do with the fact that more kids now see college as a viable option. This leads to more students taking the SAT.

I know when I graduated from the high school that I now teach at, roughly 15-20% of students actually took the SAT. Now, we have about 50% of our students who take the test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

More kids are taking the SAT.  It doesn't mean there are more kids that SHOULD, they just are and it doesn't mean that they are ready for college either. 

littleswampfox
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
This. I remember when schools wouldn't give the school code to students who weren't really suited to take the SAT. The sheer number of students taking the test affects the scores.

Quoting mjande4:

More kids are taking the SAT.  It doesn't mean there are more kids that SHOULD, they just are and it doesn't mean that they are ready for college either. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

There are schools in low income areas that REQUIRE ALL of their students to take the test and it's FREE.  What a JOKE!  Those same kids can't pass the basic state tests, but the legislators expect them to be "college-ready".  Don't get me started!  Oh and by the way, those of us barely hanging on in the middle income bracket still have to pony up the money to pay for the test.

Kris_PBG
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank goodness we implemented NCLB - that worked SO well for our country's education plan.

My kids read or are read to probably 6/7 days a week...  (There is usually one night where they either fall asleep early or some activity that gets in our way.)

robibuni
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM
I just don't think reading is all that valued in today's society.

My neighbor's 17 year old daughter was just kinda floating along in high school and somehow managed to graduate. She would ask me what basic words meant and told me she hated reading. It made me sad...yet she still wanted to go to college?!

I read to my girls. DD1 is 3 and DD2 is 7 months. DD1 gets read to at least once a day. Usually 3 times a day is more the norm, and she enjoys books! I hope she always does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleswampfox
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I spit my drink out when I read this. :)

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Thank goodness we implemented NCLB - that worked SO well for our country's education plan.

My kids read or are read to probably 6/7 days a week...  (There is usually one night where they either fall asleep early or some activity that gets in our way.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleswampfox
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm mobile, or I would upload the video, but you (general) need to go to YouTube and watch "Why High School Students Don't Read What's Assigned In Class" by Penny Kittle. It has changed the way that our English department structures our classes.

I have repeaters this semester, some who would have never touched a book last year, who are reading, avidly, because they've been given a choice--no strings attached.

"Eyes on text" is one of the biggest things a language teacher can do. Not everybody is going to love and appreciate classics or even more modern class reading. But, every person can find at least ONE book that appeals to him/her. From there, it's a matter of steering, helping, and providing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)