Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

SAT Reading Scores LOWEST in 40 years

http://news.yahoo.com/sat-reading-scores-lowest-theyve-40-years-204658542.html

Do you read to your kids? How often?

Do you think the scores are the result of migration to the US, two working parents, genetic/inability, technology/TV, apathetic attitude or another reason?

Granted, English is a tough language but other countries are teaching children native and English languages. So if other kids are learning more than one language, then why can't US kids make the grade??

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Replies (21-29):
seahorsebaby11
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I never imagined I'd consider homeschool but after what I have seen in five states, private, public, charter and BIA I am neither impressed nor surprised our edge in innovation is fading. I am not sure at this writing how the cost benefit will fare financially with  the whole thing but I intend researching all avenues to avoid institutional education. With class sizes expanding and resources declining, I can't imagine how the schools of the future can be an advantage over more personalized attention of skilled educators in an intimate setting. Government should welcome and financially reward this direction.

mamavalor
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

People from other countries learn different languages because the countries are so close together that they have to learn a different language in order to communicate with one another.  English is the standard world language so most people on earth are learning that. 

To answer your question as to why Americans don't or can't learn a second, third and heavens a fourth language, it's simply because we are a self centered country, where everyone wants to become.  Immigrants have to learn English and their native language dissolves over time, especially the generations after them. 

Logistically speaking since the US is pretty much an isolated country, except with our neighboring Canada, English is the only language.  Unless we travel, we hardly use any foreign languages on a daily basis, where the need is there to keep the languages alive.  Americans can learn a second language but they need to use it in order to keep it.

TranquilMind
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Because Americans are lazy and self-serving.

I read to them constantly when they were little, up to preteens, as homeschoolers.  It helped, but honestly...I could have done more too.

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Our state has class size limits, so no climbing classes here. In fact, due to the way the law went into effect, classes have shrunk in the past 3 years.

Just curious - what states have you had experiences in?

Quoting seahorsebaby11:

I never imagined I'd consider homeschool but after what I have seen in five states, private, public, charter and BIA I am neither impressed nor surprised our edge in innovation is fading. I am not sure at this writing how the cost benefit will fare financially with  the whole thing but I intend researching all avenues to avoid institutional education. With class sizes expanding and resources declining, I can't imagine how the schools of the future can be an advantage over more personalized attention of skilled educators in an intimate setting. Government should welcome and financially reward this direction.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gsprofval
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Absolutely this:

Quoting mjande4:

There are schools in low income areas that REQUIRE ALL of their students to take the test and it's FREE.  What a JOKE!  Those same kids can't pass the basic state tests, but the legislators expect them to be "college-ready".  Don't get me started!  Oh and by the way, those of us barely hanging on in the middle income bracket still have to pony up the money to pay for the test.

And when those kids get to college and flunk the basic English writing course, we wonder why (but many still get the government aid to pay for school and laugh all the way to the bank).

gsprofval
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

In Indiana, textbooks are on the way out; parents are forced to spend about $300 per kid to rent an Ipad which supposedly has textbooks on it.

Kids just use the Ipads for social networking and playing games--this comes from the parents.  Parents also tell me that students don't even have to read any more--why should they when there is a button on the Ipad that will read the text out loud for them.

No wonder students are not getting any kind of education any more.  When they get to college, many can't even read basic words and there is no kind of vocabulary at all.

kirbymom
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I read to our kids when they were little and sometimes we still read to our kids even though they are older now. They love how we read.  :) 

I know that in our district where I live, the kids have and Ipad and all the kids tell me they don't do any schoolwork. The teachers assign them some but most of the time the kids just ignore it and play games on the Ipad.  Most of the kids where I live are educationally behind. They do not even grasp a lot of vocabulary words and what they mean.  In fact, the local stores down the street from where we live are constantly asking my kids how they are doing in school and what they learned because their same age kids haven't learned the same things in their schools. Right now I have a son who is doing tons of science projects, and the local store clerks thought he was making a local meth lab because of some of the chemicals he bought from them and uses in his projects. Now that they know he isn't one of the local kids, he is quite the intellectual with them. They know everyone of us by first name.  They say that they wish their kids' schools would teach what we teach our kids.  And all of this happens because reading and vocabulary are not the main focus of teaching nowadays. Of course that is not to say that there aren't some schools out there that aren't doing their job of teaching and educating but they are the few and far between the many who don't and it just isn't enough any more. 

happinessforyou
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

At the middle school that I worked at I was told by several teachers that thanks to NCLB-we are teaching to the lowest common denominator, dumbing down, whatever you want to call it. Remember that when NCLB was passed into law, no extra money came with it so school districts had to follow Federal law, yet got no financial help to do so. How do you meet the law? Cut everything else. So yes, it is a lost generation. I wish our Teachers Union here would fight this law instead of worrying how many hours a day they are in a classroom. I wish they would fight the stupid standardized testing instead of striking for shorter work hours. KWIM?? Get after the "meat" that affects their ability to do their jobs for the sake of our kids.

TranquilMind
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I read to them constantly.  All day long (with breaks).  Every lunchtime, because we were in the middle of a good book.  We were homeschoolers.  They are doing fantastically in school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN