Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?

Posted by   + Show Post

Saving for your child's college education can be tough but it doesn't have to be with the Gerber Life College Plan. We asked our CafeMom members to discuss the benefits in enrolling in the Gerber Life plan and then we gave them a donation to be used for their child's college plan! 

Tell us about your kids. How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (51-60):
arpazia
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM
We have gerber and his gramp opened a fund for him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

DH and I took the Financial Peace University course a year ago. We are currently paying off all debt (mostly credit cards) and when that is done, we will start college funds for the kids.

Dave Ramsey doesn't recommend policies such as Gerber's. Sorry, Gerber! We won't be going that route. I can't remember the name of the plan... I saw someone else mentioned a 529 plan... maybe that's it. I don't know, but when the time comes, I'll look back thru my notes from FPU. :)

countrygirlkat
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I read his Total Money Management book and we have been working on paying off debt as well. 

Quoting RobynS:

DH and I took the Financial Peace University course a year ago. We are currently paying off all debt (mostly credit cards) and when that is done, we will start college funds for the kids.

Dave Ramsey doesn't recommend policies such as Gerber's. Sorry, Gerber! We won't be going that route. I can't remember the name of the plan... I saw someone else mentioned a 529 plan... maybe that's it. I don't know, but when the time comes, I'll look back thru my notes from FPU. :)

RobynS
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

high five

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I read his Total Money Management book and we have been working on paying off debt as well. 

Quoting RobynS:

Kainalu55
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

we haven't really started saving for college for the kids.  Each of my daughters do have a savings account that will be given to them when they graduate, but as for college, we will pay for it when the time comes.

cara124
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

We where advised against saving for college for our children . We worked through college and I believe we did a better job at focusing on school work because we had to EARN our education. I see way to many college kids who's parents "saved" money for them to attend school and they blow their education off . So DD 17 will be attending the local community college /working a part time job. We plan for her to live at home and I will pay the same things I pay now but she will be paying for the rest herself .

MamaBear2cubs
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Cute kids!

Quoting MommyAddie:

We actually have the Gerber Life College plans for two of our kids and are going to add another for the baby next month.  The girls have had the Gerber Grow-up for Life plans since they were babies because I wanted them to always have access to life insurance, no matter what the future held for their health, and it will always be $6 a month for them.  We started the College plans so that they won't cash out their life insurance policies for college money.  My parents always told me to go to college, but they didn't save a dime for me, nor did they teach me how to save.  I did, eventually, go to college in my early 30's but it would've been so much easier ten years earlier and now I'm looking at repaying my student loans until I'm 45.  I just want my kids to feel prepared to go to school right away.  The Gerber Life College plan makes sense for us becuase we pay a premium, so to us its just another bill.  Once the policy matures, there is a guarenteed cash pay out that will equal more than the total amount of paid premiums.  I like that the kids can use it for something other than college, too.  There is a good chance their grandmother will pay for college, so they could use their payout as a down payment on a house or something. I love the Gerber Life plans.  This is a guarenteed way for me to do something significant for their futures. 

sukainah
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

We haven't started saving for our kids college.  It's sad...I need to get going on that and look into this Gerber one.

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting lalasmama2007:

My dd has had a savings account since birth. Any money that she's received as gifts has been put into the account.

That's a really good idea.  

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Quoting MommyAddie:

Such a cute photo!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)