Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?

Posted by   + Show Post

Saving for your child's college education can be tough but it doesn't have to be with the Gerber Life College Plan. We asked our CafeMom members to discuss the benefits in enrolling in the Gerber Life plan and then we gave them a donation to be used for their child's college plan! 

Tell us about your kids. How do you plan on saving for your child's college education?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (61-70):
ceciliam
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We have a college account for our son.

slw123
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

We set up mutual funds for the kids.  The problem we had with the prepaid college programs was that if they kids didn't go to college, the money couldn't go to them to use for something else.  The only thing you can do with it is use it for education.  Of course I hope my kids go to college, but if they don't, the money in their mutual funds can be used for a down payment on a house or something instead.

Wish2Be
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM

At this stage in our finances....we are just hoping he mades good enough grades to get in. I wish we could have a savings for his education. I do however plan to put any inheritance I recieve from any of my family members to my sons education. I believe my father said that I would recieve 20 thousand.

countrygirlkat
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I didn't realize they were two different things.  We have Gerber Life Insurance ones and I thought this was the same thing but it sounds like they are different so I will definitely be looking into the college ones now.  Thanks!

Quoting MommyAddie:

We actually have the Gerber Life College plans for two of our kids and are going to add another for the baby next month.  The girls have had the Gerber Grow-up for Life plans since they were babies because I wanted them to always have access to life insurance, no matter what the future held for their health, and it will always be $6 a month for them.  We started the College plans so that they won't cash out their life insurance policies for college money.  My parents always told me to go to college, but they didn't save a dime for me, nor did they teach me how to save.  I did, eventually, go to college in my early 30's but it would've been so much easier ten years earlier and now I'm looking at repaying my student loans until I'm 45.  I just want my kids to feel prepared to go to school right away.  The Gerber Life College plan makes sense for us becuase we pay a premium, so to us its just another bill.  Once the policy matures, there is a guarenteed cash pay out that will equal more than the total amount of paid premiums.  I like that the kids can use it for something other than college, too.  There is a good chance their grandmother will pay for college, so they could use their payout as a down payment on a house or something. I love the Gerber Life plans.  This is a guarenteed way for me to do something significant for their futures. 

dusky_rose
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My youngest dd is trying for scholarships. She has gotten some already and put them in her account. This is her senior year so she is doing what she can. Unfortunately I did not plan for her college, and neither did her dad as far as I know.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Sisteract
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

My oldest has a Master's

My son is in his final year (4th) at UCSC.

We paid tuition by having  2 good careers and both of us working for the last 35 years.

Threes.Company
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

We have a Bright Starts account for each of them.  We also add to their savings at bigger events like baptisms and graduations and such.  Other than that, we are trying to save for retirement first, knowing we can get a loan for school if needed (you cannot get a loan for retirement!).

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Quoting batjmom:

This will be very interesting to read about.  We have saving accounts for our kids.  

Looking forward to reading about what the moms have to say that participate in this

Me too!

countrygirlkat
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

We have a Bright Starts account for each of them.  We also add to their savings at bigger events like baptisms and graduations and such.  Other than that, we are trying to save for retirement first, knowing we can get a loan for school if needed (you cannot get a loan for retirement!).

What is a Bright Starts account?

Leelee1008
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM

not a clue yet, were pretty strapped for cash so we have no extra to put up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN