Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Common Core State Standards - has your state/district adopted?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our state has adopted the new common core state standards. Based on everything I have seen it is a better way to measure success in school! 

Has your school adopted/have they talked about it with parents/what are your thougths....

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I have never heard of it.

jryberg
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM

http://wentzville.k12.mo.us/file.php/16/District_Publications/WSD_CCSS_FAQ.pdf

Here is a link to information from our school district - it is just the new set of "things kids should know" at each grade level. They are trying to make it more standard accross the country.

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM
At this point about 45 states have adopted common core, so for most, if their districts have not implemented it yet, they will very soon.

jryberg
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Has yours started talking about what they may have to change to meet the standards?

Quoting Kris_PBG:

At this point about 45 states have adopted common core, so for most, if their districts have not implemented it yet, they will very soon.

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Quoting jryberg:

It is already implemented in our district...
MissyB1011
by Missy on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I haven't heard of this yet, but my DD goes to a private school. I have toured the local public school to view the 5th grade. DD is ahead in 4th where they are in 5th, so she should be alright with whatever the standards are.

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Yep our state has this and it working out pretty well.

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Our state has adopted core. My district is the middle of the conversion. Next year we will be completely following common core. 

It's not as big of a change as it could have been because when our state standards were revised they intentionally aligned them to core. There are significant changes, but it's not a complete overhaul like it may be in some states. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Quoting jryberg:

The standards the teachers are teaching have changed, but the changes were not necessarily massive.
emilyrosenj
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

They haven't discussed it with parents in detail but I'm nosy so I find out this information! LOL! We have adopted them and it's going to be challenging for the kids that have been taught the old way but for new kids coming in it's great.  I think they are more relevant and more challenging standards.

Margaret

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)