Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

When did you start teaching your kids about change (money)

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been showing my oldest one change since he was 4, he's 5 now. I'm trying to teach him the difference between quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies. He gets them confused except the penny which I assume is because it's a different color. When did you start teaching your kids?

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Replies (11-18):
mommythree0508
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

at about 4

GwenMB
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I haven't really, but my oldest is in K & they've been learning about money as part of math.  So I should start to reinforce what he's learning there (and the 4 yo will learn along with him since that's what seems to happen with the 2nd child!).

Jessica020410
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Around 5 yrs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Quoting bekalynne440:

My 3.5 year old knows quarters are the big coings (though calls silver dollars quarters too).  All other coins are pennies to him.

My almost 2 year old calls all coins pennies.

When my now 5.5 yo was 4, I was giving him quarters for remembering to go to the bathroom himself.  My younger son was 2.5 then & he always wanted a quarter too.  I gave him dimes & he didn't know the difference. lol

preemiemommy
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Around 2. He counts money really well now at almost 6. Im starting with my 2 1/2 ur old as well cuz 5 yr old is working on it in school and brings home papers so youngest looks on.
jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM

at a young age, we bought play money at the store and showed the difference , how much it is worth then as she got older we would buy things and have to deduct from savings, then she would get "paid" for being good, keeping her room clean and such. So it was basically teaching her money worth, depositing, withdrawing. When she became school age She LOVES math.

QueenWisdom
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM
As soon as they are recognizing the difference!!
batjmom
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I think they were around 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)