Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

I believe that teachers who don't have patient for children with a disability shouldn't be teaching those type of children.

by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
batjmom
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:13 AM

i agree

jryberg
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with your statement. But if there is an issue I would also look at what else is going on in the classroom, maybe it is over crowded, there are lots of behavior isses, or the student really needs more one on one time which "normal" classrooms do not permit. 

Hannahsmommy816
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

yes. if it the teacher gets frustrated i can only imagine that is less than helpful to an already agitated and frustrated child/teen

maxswolfsuit
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree.

But I also think the majority of special ed teachers do have the patience. It's a much harder job that requires more training for the same pay as every other teacher. The ones who end up doing it have no ulterior motive other than they love those kids. 

There is often a huge discrepancy between what teachers feel students are capable of and what parents do. When kids are pushed they might be frustrated, but that's when the most learning will take place. If a student is never pushed beyond their comfort zone learning becomes stagnant. 

I know that's not always the case. But it often is. 

litha777
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM

it's only 5 kids in the classroom

litha777
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Home schooling or public school what's you guys opinion

robynjavan7104
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:55 AM
I have seen this a lot lately, especially with the department of education trying to push kids into mainstream classrooms when they're not ready for it.

Quoting Sillieguze:

I agree, but sometimes teachers have children with special needs put in their classroom even if they aren't trained in how to teach them

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I have also worked in a middle school, where maybe the parents needed to realize that mainstreaming was not working for their child, yet INSISTED on it.

Quoting robynjavan7104:

I have seen this a lot lately, especially with the department of education trying to push kids into mainstream classrooms when they're not ready for it.

Quoting Sillieguze:

I agree, but sometimes teachers have children with special needs put in their classroom even if they aren't trained in how to teach them

mamavalor
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

So true.  But sadly, many teachers, experienced or not, don't want to teach disabled students.  Too much work.  There is a high burn out rate for special education teachers too.

sally310
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I have a special ed daughter and has a horrific experience with the ps in our district.  We finally just go out and moved.  I saw a few dedicated special ed teachers, but most were just in it for the money.  Really they were making 80k for working half a year.  Did not have to show any results, insulted my child at every meeting, and could never get fired.  Sorry, but they are not having such a tough time.

On the other hand my daughter was learning nothing, except how to misbehave.  I now have to pay to send  her to private school, or home school.  I know that the teachers in our district had no training, but there was nothing to stop them doing a little research in their own time.  There is so much information out there, I find useful new stuff practically every day.  They could devote a little of their time to that, or ask the district to provide them with training.  As a parent it is beyond frustrating to see these people with no clue, when all they need to know is out there, they just can't be bothered to look.  I even took in information for them, but they refused to look at it.  I appealed to them to consult with experts, they just didn't want to know.  What ever happened to going the extra mile for your students?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)