Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

What should the repercussion be when parents... PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post

don't support their child's education?

If a parent won't contact the school, attend conferences, monitor homework, get their child to school regularly, or return phone calls should there be a consequence for that?

Is this something CPS should get involved in or maybe the court system. Should involvement in education be tied to PA benefits? Or is it a parent's right to neglect their child's education?

Debate...

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Replies (11-16):
elasmimi
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

My child is in private school. We are required to get at least 9 volunteer hours/year. No one thinks anything about it, because most of us are much more involved than that. I cannot imagine parents not being involved in their child's education, but my friend and 2 of my sil's are teachers in public schools, so I know it can be a nightmare.

Bmat
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I agree. I am uneasy about legislating this. I think parents should be involved, and perhaps campaigns on the media and so forth emphasizing the importance.

Quoting jryberg:

as a very involved parent I feel bad for kids whose parents are not involved but not sure if there legal actions are really the right way to do this. 

arpazia
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Monitoring homework is the only thing I think they should do. The other things doesn't mean they are neglecting their child's education, perhaps they have a social disorder?
I try to be very involved with my sons education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Vengence is not ours. If a parent neglects their child's education, God provides built in consequences. It is not our place to play God in that situation. It is arrogance and foolish to think we should.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting abra:

Vengence is not ours. If a parent neglects their child's education, God provides built in consequences. It is not our place to play God in that situation. It is arrogance and foolish to think we should.

So what are God's built in consequences?

I see plenty of consequences for the child, but the parents don't seem to have any consequence that impacts them.

And I can't state strongly enough how much I disagree that showing concern for child in need and advocating for them is neither foolish nor arrogant. This world would be a pretty sad place if everyone looked the other way when children needed help. 

abra
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Children grow up and instead of taking care of their parents (as it should be), the children grow up rely on their parents to continue to take care of them financially and sometimes physically. Have we ever seen so many grown children living with their parents or off government assistance as we do now? This is a form of judgement on the parents.

There is a big difference in being an advocate (in an abuse situation, for example) and sticking your nose into someone elses' business (which will, incidentally, incite unpleasant consequences, as well). I am positive that if you looked into how I live my life and if I looked into yours, we would both see things the other person does that we wholly disagree with. Would you want me interfering with your children when I saw things you did that I thought were borderline abuse (obviously not physical abuses)? I don't call you out on what you do that I consider wrong because I have no right to do so unless it is explicit abuse. It is the same situation with other peoples kids and the education methods they choose.

I send my kids to a classical/higher education school. I think the public schools are (for the most part, not all of them) useless. Still, if someone else chooses to send their kids there, it is none of my business to call them out on it. Their kids aren't mine. I am only responsible for my own children.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting abra:

So what are God's built in consequences?

I see plenty of consequences for the child, but the parents don't seem to have any consequence that impacts them.

And I can't state strongly enough how much I disagree that showing concern for child in need and advocating for them is neither foolish nor arrogant. This world would be a pretty sad place if everyone looked the other way when children needed help. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)