Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Christmas season at school

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

If your kids are in a public school what are your thougths on teaching about the christmas season? Not just giving things but the true reason for the holiday?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jryberg
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

As a christian family I am more than OK with it! But I also hope that they teach about other religions holidays and celebrations. I think learning about other religions are key to raising kids that are accepting of people who are different than they are. 

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I am fine with it as long as how other religions and cultures celrbrate holidays are also taught.
batjmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:16 AM
They really don't get into too much holiday celebration.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:16 AM
Well said. I agree

Quoting jryberg:

As a christian family I am more than OK with it! But I also hope that they teach about other religions holidays and celebrations. I think learning about other religions are key to raising kids that are accepting of people who are different than they are. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Our schools don't go into depth regarding the holidays.  We have such a diverse population that we just learn directly from each other.

MissyB1011
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I don't know what our local public school does for holidays like Christmas and Easter. DD is currently attending a Christian school, so they are definitely highly celebrated holidays.

I wouldn't be opposed to schools discussing multiple ways of celebrating the holidays. I think we can all learn a little from each other.

Threes.Company
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Christmas is not taught at our public school.  Even our holiday party is a "winter party".

4kidz916
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Agreed.

Quoting jryberg:

jryberg
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Our school just as a "holiday party" before Christmas. But I know they talk about the holiday some, just as part of the general curriculum. 

Quoting Threes.Company:

Christmas is not taught at our public school.  Even our holiday party is a "winter party".

Charizma77
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I agree

Quoting jryberg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN