Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Do you give your kids money for good grades? Do you think you will do that when your younger kids are in school?

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
elasmimi
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so. It's like paying for making her bed or doing her chores, it's just an expectation she should meet w/o being paid to do it. No one pays me to clean the house.

SlightlyPerfect
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I have to think back.

I remember getting money for a good report card, but I always had good report cards because that was expected of me and because I could cognitively handle the work. Money was an afterthought; it wasn't a motivator. The motivator was pleasing myself and my parents.

I think, as parents, we have to instill in our children that their own productivity should be their primary motivator. Until that can be established, they can use our approval, because we won't steer them wrong. You know, I respected my parents because they were worthy of respect. I wanted to please them. The money was always more of a mutual-respect symbol, I guess.

slightlyperfect

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM

No. We don't pay for grades. It is their responsibility to do well in school. We do praise, lots of praise.

bamababe1975
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM

No, I don't give them money. Instead we tell them how proud we are of them, post about it on Facebook, and then treat them to something like eating out or buying books. This last report card, we all went to Arby's and got peppermint swirl shakes. :)

Hannahsmommy816
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I think I will, but we'll see....up to dh!

extremelibrary
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Heck no!

Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Not yet

MamaMandee
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My mom use to do it for my oldest. 

timon95
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM
nope! no money for grades
PEEK05
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM

No I won't be doing that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)