Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

How does your child's school handle tattling?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

What do your child(ren)'s teachers do if a student tells them that another student did something?  When is it tattling vs informing (something the teacher needs to know)?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jryberg
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I have not really asked about this, I think they tend to look into issues at the beginning of the year and then as they learn who "tattles" versus who is really informing they may make different decisions. 

GwenMB
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Quoting jryberg:

I have not really asked about this, I think they tend to look into issues at the beginning of the year and then as they learn who "tattles" versus who is really informing they may make different decisions. 

It's not something I would really think to ask.  But I've been in both of my sons' classes volunteering & have observed what happens when someone tattles which just makes me wonder how other schools/teachers handle it.

Tattling (i.e. when no one is actually hurt) drives me nuts.

Bmama1
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM
This is an interesting subject. My boys aren't in school yet though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sillieguze
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM

My kids are too young for this to be an issue, but I am a first grade teacher.  We talk a lot about the difference between tattling and reporting.  The counselor does a lesson on it too.  When a child wants to tell me something and I will usually ask if they're tattling (trying to get someone into trouble) or reporting (trying to get someone out of trouble).  Most of the time they'll say yes that they're tattling, but they'll continue to try to tell me about it anyway.  I often say, "You're in charge of yourself and I will take care of everyone else." 

batjmom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Interesting.. I have not heard much about this.  neither of my kids had this subject come up.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN