Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your Local Library

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 17 Replies

Do you like it? Why or why not? 

I work at a public library and I like learning about other libraries and what services/experiences they offer. 

woman_laying_down_while_reading_0071-0810-1617-0647_SMU

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM
My oldest kids love the library like I did! My youngest not so much! My oldest wants to get a job at the library!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a great job. I love working here!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

My oldest kids love the library like I did! My youngest not so much! My oldest wants to get a job at the library!

woman_laying_down_while_reading_0071-0810-1617-0647_SMU

Hottmomma607
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM
He did volunteer at my youngest kids elem school&a local private college! He loves it&book stores! He's special needs I hope he can find something that works with him! He's such a hard worker. :-)

Quoting fraujones:

It's a great job. I love working here!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen113000
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

We've never been to our local library. It's on the other side of town, about 20-25mins away. Sucks but it's just not something we do. We do go to Barnes and noble and read books/ pick new books out together etc.

batjmom
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We all like the library.   Great section for the kids.  

jryberg
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I love our public library! We have a branch very close to our house and use it to keep up with my daughters need for new books. I also like their electronic library and use it frequently for books for myself! I can also go on-line at night and reserve books and then just pick them up the next day. The staff is wonderful and gives my daughter suggestions of books to try when we ask. 

jryberg
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and I would go broke if we did not use the library -we all love to read too much! 

SamMom912
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

We love love love our local library! We go weekly, check out 15-20 books and read away! 

Our library is awesome, because they have a toy check out, a video game check out and a dvd, cd, check out area as well... My son likes the video game borrow cause it gives him an opportunity to try a game before he spends his money on it. 

We have been visiting our library since my son was 6 months old. He is 6..and i attribute his 2nd grade reading level and his unstoppable vocabulary ( recently used the word empathetic!h to our weekly visits and great book choices! 

GwenMB
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Toy check out?  That's awesome!  I've never heard of that before.  What kind of toys?

I definitely agree that lots of book reading really builds our child's vocabulary & helps them get a great start at reading for themselves.

Quoting SamMom912:

We love love love our local library! We go weekly, check out 15-20 books and read away! 

Our library is awesome, because they have a toy check out, a video game check out and a dvd, cd, check out area as well... My son likes the video game borrow cause it gives him an opportunity to try a game before he spends his money on it. 

We have been visiting our library since my son was 6 months old. He is 6..and i attribute his 2nd grade reading level and his unstoppable vocabulary ( recently used the word empathetic!h to our weekly visits and great book choices! 

GwenMB
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM

We also love our local library.  We go at least once a week.  I take DS#2 on Thursday mornings for the story time & we check out books then.  We also go 1-2 Saturdays a month for the Saturday programing they have & occasionally other afternoons/evenings for the various programs or just to get new books.

They have a nice play area for the younger kids, computers for ages 3-10 and another computer area for the middle school crowd.  There is also a teen section with a teen librarian with teen programming.

They've also been having lots of adult programs - some of which I've actually taken my 5.5 & 4 yo to.  My older son really enjoyed them, the 4 yo was along just for the ride.

They also have cake pans we can check out.  Most of my sons' birthday cakes have been made with a pan I checked out.

I am on the library board & enjoy the chance to impact the library through that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)