Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Preschool?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

Good thing or not really necessary?

Did/do your child(ren) go?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My children both went and it was a great experience for them

jen113000
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

My oldest only went 1 day a week the year before kindergarten. We just couldn't afford it. He is doing fabulous in first grade now! My younger son just started preschool earlier this month. He LOVES it! He qualified for free preschool through the school district since he needs it for speech.

jryberg
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

my daughter went for two years - 2 days the first year and 3 days the next. It was mornings only. I think it was a great way to get a little experience in a classroom setting. It is beneficial for kids who either are at home all the time or at a sitter who is not a day care facilitiy. It helped with my daughters shyness and provided her some good basic skills. While you could teach the skills at home since both my hubby and I work fulltime we wanted her to have the experiences! 

SamMom912
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM

My son went 4 hours a week at 2... 3 mornings a week at 3 and 5 mornings a week at 4. He learned to be in a social setting (he is an only) he learned a lot academically. My son recieved services as well, o/t, p/t in the classroom. I thought it was quite beneficial for him. I also felt he needed to learn how to be and rely on other people. My hubby and i dont live near family..and my hubby works from 6am to 7pm.. So i really needed those 3 2.5 hours to myself to be a better mom. 

GwenMB
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I think its a good thing, but not absolutely necessary.  Many kids do just fine in school w/o ever going to preschool.  But it can be a great way to get used to going to school & learn some social & academic skills before K.

Jessica020410
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM

My older two went for half days and loved it! My daughter will be starting half days in August.

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

HIGHLY valuable when it is a high-quality pre-k.

I would never consider skipping pre-k for my kids.

kmqw229
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM
My son goes 2x a week & loves it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sillieguze
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

My son is in his second year of preschool.  Last year he went 2 mornings a week for 3 hours.  This year he goes 4 days a week for 3 hours.  I love his school.  I think preschool is necessary for a child to be ready for kindergarten.  There are so many things that a child learns at preschool that they won't learn at home. 

jen113000
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I totally agree.

Quoting GwenMB:

I think its a good thing, but not absolutely necessary.  Many kids do just fine in school w/o ever going to preschool.  But it can be a great way to get used to going to school & learn some social & academic skills before K.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN