Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you bought your house...

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

was it for the school district or did you just love the house?  Are you happy with your decision or do you regret it?

Margaret

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I would never live in a neighborhood that had poor schools. Now that my last is a senior in HS, I can live anywhere, but why would anyone not care about their neighborhood? It's not like a beautiful house will sit right in the middle of the worst school district right?

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Actually it could be.  Some developers look for inexpensive properties to build so you will see a beautiful home withing the "poorer" districts.  Of course, some of the children who live in these homes probably go to private or parochial schools.  

We chose our home because of the wonderful schools.  But it's an older home, not fancy at all.  So it really can go either way which is why I asked the question.

Quoting happinessforyou:

I would never live in a neighborhood that had poor schools. Now that my last is a senior in HS, I can live anywhere, but why would anyone not care about their neighborhood? It's not like a beautiful house will sit right in the middle of the worst school district right?

Margaret

happinessforyou
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I figured that my kids would be playing with the neighbor kids, I'd walk my dogs through the neighborhood etc..etc.. I would want to live in a decent place :)

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Actually it could be.  Some developers look for inexpensive properties to build so you will see a beautiful home withing the "poorer" districts.  Of course, some of the children who live in these homes probably go to private or parochial schools.  

We chose our home because of the wonderful schools.  But it's an older home, not fancy at all.  So it really can go either way which is why I asked the question.

Quoting happinessforyou:

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We bought this house for the house and the neighborhood. Our older son had already started at the magnet school he now attends (and not in our neighborhood) and where his sibling will also go when he's old enough. Though if it were a different situation, we would send them to the neighborhood school, which is very good.

Hottmomma607
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes&no! We chose a house that was still close to their old school district! But it didn't work out we were going to drive them! But our oldest sons did a IEP&the school district decided not to have an outside person in the school district with an IEP. It was more like who lived in the district, had priority even though we had been in the district for sometime now! But the new school district turned out good b/c its not that big&takes care of the students!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It wasn't for the school district.  I am happy with our decision.

kmqw229
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM
We are looking at buying a house now, we are only looking for houses in the school districts we like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Our kids were too little to factor that in when we bought our condo. We have since sold it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

no it had nothing to do with district (although we live in a just fine district...it's the only one in the area anyway) b/c we're homeschoolers. but it was the perfect house for our family and I still love it. it's exactly the house i always pictured, very traditional, very much a family house. 

Juniper53098
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

We send our kids to private school, so the district didn't matter.  We loved our house.  Sadly, we've pretty much outgrown it, so I'd really like to find a new one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)