Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Training Children to be Independent

Posted by   + Show Post

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Replies (11-12):
SamMom912
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Hmmm, sems really really outdated... What is a collect call? What is a public phone? Or a long distance call?  And what is a video rental? LOL

I certainly dont know some how to do of these! Sew? Change a flat tire? Ummm. Buy new.. And triple A! And in NY it is against the law to pump gas til you are 16.  And i highly doubt firearm handling is something i will teach my son at 14 here in NY?

And really... I dont clean my own house or take care of my lawn... I expect my son will hire these things out as well. I want him to focus on his education and not menial tasks. He is 6.  He has a savings account, knows how it works, understands money management and the importance of saving. I think each family should have their own list about what teaches their children to be independent and thus a success.

I dont mean to come across as condecending. I really dont. Im just thinking that "responsibility" is such a  personal thing to teach and each part of the country/family is different. What may be typical responsible behavior here just outside NYC for my 6 year old is MUCH different from a 6 year old in Kansas.
My son can use the computer/ internet/ he knows how to use a cell phone, can face time grandpa in NC or skype with my inlaws,knows how to use my ipad (better then I). He understands traffic laws and speed limits. He gets percentages, interest and fractions. He may not be able to make his lunch, but he can order in a restaurant, is not afraid to talk to the waitress, and could tell you the tip. LOL
I did find the list interesting and thought provoking. So thanks for sharing it!

emarin77
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting Heather2001:

Interesting - not sure I agree with all of them, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN