Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

This happened at my son school.

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
I saw this on the local news Friday.

A father is upset after a teacher put tape over his six-year-old's mouth.

Plano ISD has declined to comment, but says it is looking into the incident.

Mauricio Munoz, Sr. says the principal of Forman Elementary confirmed to him the taping occurred on Monday while students were taking a test.

Reportedly his son and a friend was talking so much the teacher put tape over both of their mouths.

"I just want like parents to know that things like this are happening in the school," Munoz said.

At a meeting with the teacher and the principal, Munoz said he got an apology from the teacher but the principal would not say what kind of punishment the teacher would face.

"I would like for the teacher to be suspended or something and actually take serious matter of what happened and not just a little punishment, a little slap on the hand and that's it," Munoz said.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/21894392/plano-dad-upset-after-childs-mouth-taped-at-school#ixzz2PhiFR3ha

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I will say the same thing I always say about news stories like these. 

The media only gets one side of the story. The school declines to comment because they can't tell the media anything without violating the privacy of the students in question. Parents can go to the media and tell them whatever they want. But teachers can't defend themselves in the media. 

So this story could be just as it seems. In that case the teacher should absolutely be disciplined. That's a real problem. 

Or the real story could be quite different. I wonder if you will hear more about it. 

extremelibrary
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I agree with you. I would have liked to hear the other side too. I have no idea what will happen. I wasn't trying to offend anybody on this.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

The media only gets one side of the story. The school declines to comment because they can't tell the media anything without violating the privacy of the students in question. Parents can go to the media and tell them whatever they want. But teachers can't defend themselves in the media. 

So this story could be just as it seems. In that case the teacher should absolutely be disciplined. That's a real problem. 

Or the real story could be quite different. I wonder if you will hear more about it. 

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Please don't think I was offended! I wasn't at all!

I understand why people see media stories like this and think they tell the whole story. If I hadn't been privy to the other side on a couple of stories I would do the same. I've seen families go from omitting key details to flat out lying when they go to the media and there is nothing the school can do to combat it. 

Quoting extremelibrary:

I agree with you. I would have liked to hear the other side too. I have no idea what will happen. I wasn't trying to offend anybody on this.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I had a teacher do this to me when I was in elementary school. They had my parents approval. I wasn't harmed and it wasn't done in a mean spirit. Then again, that was back when they still had paddles to spank you with. 

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

gsprofval
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

And what punishment do the boys get for talking during the test?  That's the other side of this.

emilyrosenj
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

As a parent of a child who is being harrassed by a teacher (no longer even her teacher), I'd have to say I really don't care what the other side of the story is.  In my case, the teacher was proven to have lied regarding my daughter, the principal investigated and found my daughter was telling the truth and he STILL stood by the teacher. 

Yes there are two sides of the story however, no teacher has the right to humiliate a child. Send the child from the room, ask the parent to keep the child home, there were other ways of handling this.  The principal in this case admitted that the taping occurred. The teacher should be disciplined. 

queencreekmom
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a teacher and this is horrible!! There may be 2 sides, but not once a teacher has physically touched a child. Or publicly humiliated a child. A 6 year old talked during a test? So there is probably a posted consequence in the class. Most often just moving to be near him or catching his eye and giving a reminder works great!

SamMom912
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
As a teacher im shocked and disappointed that this ridiculous taping was the best solution she could come up with.
Its horrible... And inexcusable in my mind. That little boy is impressionable. He is there in school to learn! Teach him impulse control; teach him to be aware of how his action affects others. Teach him how to remain calm, cool, collected. Not by public humiliation, not by "might is right" and bullying him into submission.... but by talking with him, teaching him, respecting him, working with him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)