Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Once in three weeks

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:06 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 244 Total Views

I've been trying to use a reward system to get DS to poop IN the toilet.  A star for each time, and at 5 stars a new hot wheels, his favorite thing in the uuniverse.  He's gotten 1 star in 3 weeks.  One time out of eight.  I'll see the signs that he needs to go, and take him to the bathroom.  He sits and pushes and nothing.  Then I walk the dog, or make dinner, or take a shower and it "Mom, poop!"  Always on the floor.  Oh he puts something down first, and everything goes to the toilet, and he washes his hands very well- but still on the floor.  And I can't punish him, because he can't differentiate don't go on the floor with don't go, and the last thing we need after all this progress is for him to start holding it.  And the reward system isn't going very well.  And he starts dance and German classes this year (we homeschool, so this hasn't come up yet thankfully), and I really don't want him to do anything icky in public with a strange adult in charge...

by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ArmyWife0105
by Group Owner on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I unfortunately would have the same result with my dd. she has multiple "accidents" in her underwear a day. I am hoping that her new medicine will work for her. We are on day 3 and nothing so far. The Dr did tell me it may take a few days and to encourage her to try and go often throughout the day. Good luck mama! Don't give up he will get it eventually!

I am a pro life, non ERF & CIO, spanking (when needed), co-sleeping (when needed), non breast feeding (my girls didn't want to) , army wife, and mother of 2 beautiful little girls. (Owner of the Older Kids With Toileting Issues Group! http://www.cafemom.com/group/114936) Currently surviving deployment #3
cedailey
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I try to remind myself, we do have progress.  1)  he will push now, he used to avoid until the stool basically forced itself out of his body.  2)  he knows he has to go, and removes the clothing (a lot less wash) 3) he almost always goes in the bathroom (instead of wherever he happens to be) and 4) he cleans up after so I don't have to.

It's just that we are starting to go out more this year, and the on the floor bit rules out a multi-toilet public restroom.  Not everyone has the single toilet lock the door bathroom.

cedailey
by on Aug. 9, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Well, it took five weeks, almost six, but he got his hot wheels car.  I'm hoping that now that the reward is "real"  he will have more motivation to go for the next one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)