Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Journals CafeMom Journals

Writing Memoir is as Easy As a Trip to Walmart

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

Oh, I love the responses to the previous post. They confirm what I've long suspected - that each of us really triumphs over a great many distractions when we sit down to write our tales. It is hard, isn't it?

But here is some good news: When you write memoir, you're writing what you know. That's right: What you already know. Which means that just like Dorothy's ruby red slippers, you've had on you all the time what you need to write your tales.

The issue is how to get to it.

And for that, I've got a little video to show you.

Remember Galileo, the man who taught us that the earth revolves around the sun, and not the other way around?

Imagine him standing in Walmart. Yup. In Walmart, there amid the deep fryers, digital cameras and lawn chairs. All he wants is the one small part he needs to perfect the telescope. Then he'll prove that the earth revolves around the sun, and not the other way around, as was standard message of the church in his time. Seeking a small item to prove a big theory, Galileo must not get distracted by the Christmas icicle lights and stainless steel slow cookers, the ionized hairdryers and six-time-zone watches. He must go into Walmart, get only what he needs, and come back out. Then he'll convince us to see the universe the way he does.

Yours is the same assignment. You must speed-shop your overstocked whiz-bang subconscious, snagging only those items tagged by the subject you've chosen, leaving all those other pretty, shiny, digital, marked-down objects on the shelves. It's as though you must carry a custom-made magnet, attracting merely the smallest, precisely charged metal shavings. This is not easy. But mastering the skill of a good quick grab is essential to your success.

Have you got some questions for me at this point? 

I'd love to read them. I'll answer them here.

by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mp3mom
by Cherrie on Sep. 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Are we adding to the Memoirs we started to write... in lesson 2?

mommyto2gr8ones
by Crystal on Sep. 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM

BUMP!

Enchantee
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Oh, Marion, your words are so encouraging!  Thank you so much for sharing your skills & brightening my day all at once.  Bless your big, golden heart, sweet one!

Love & light...Ceci 

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." ~ Sophia Loren (1934 ~ present)
mp3mom
by Cherrie on Sep. 21, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I do apologize... yes, thank you so much for sharing your words of wisdom. Your approach is very enlightening as well as interesting.

lady_author
by Member on Sep. 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Quoting Marion_RS:

But here is some good news: When you write memoir, you're writing what you know. That's right: What you already know.

Yours is the same assignment. You must speed-shop your overstocked whiz-bang subconscious, snagging only those items tagged by the subject you've chosen, leaving all those other pretty, shiny, digital, marked-down objects on the shelves. It's as though you must carry a custom-made magnet, attracting merely the smallest, precisely charged metal shavings. This is not easy. But mastering the skill of a good quick grab is essential to your success.

Have you got some questions for me at this point? 

I'd love to read them. I'll answer them here.

What do you do when you have a thought to jot down, but you are not where you can jot it down and then when you finally get to where you can, you lose the thought?  That's happened to me several times and I just get frustrated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN