Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CafeMom Journals CafeMom Journals

Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM
  • 2 Replies

As we all can see, a lot of people are upset about the Near Universal Coverage of Birth Control issue which is the federal mandate that would require healh plans to cover birth control @ no cost to women. It seems that people are upset because the mandate does not exempt religious hospitals and universities. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) rules have an exemption for churches and other houses of worship - organizations whose primary purpose is the inculcation of religious values and who mainly employ and serve people of their own faith. 

There are a lot of opinions floating around but where are the facts. I did some digging around and came across some interesting things that I wanted to share with everyone:

1) In 1998, a contraceptive coverage requirement was added to the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan.

2) As of January 2012, 28 states already have contraceptive equality laws that require health plans, if they offer prescription drug coverage, to also cover FDA approved birth control. (www.plannedparenthood.org)

They are: AZ, AR,  CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, HI, IL, IA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MO, MT, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OR, RI, VT, WA, WV, WI (www.prochoiceamerica.org)

3) Many Catholic hospitals/universities already have been covering contraception for their employees and students for years and have managed to continue to serve non-Catholics and up-hold their mission.

Fordham University, Georgetown University, and DuPaul University all offer their employees health plans that cover contraception as does Catholic Healthcare West, a large Catholic hospital system in California, Nevada and Arizona. (www.huffingtonpost.com)

I would like to know if this info changes anyone point of view on the issue?

Some of our fellow citizens are already enjoying the benefits of contraceptive coverage - why not all of us?

Why can't the people of this country enjoy the same quality healthcare that our elected officials enjoy?

by on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
_Tam_
by Tam on Jan. 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Ideally, I would want women and only women to choose what happens to a woman's body.  And, not just any woman, but the woman whose body is being affected.

mommygiggles317
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

bump

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN