Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Has your child ever been on a special diet?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM
  • 11 Replies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elayna90
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM
We have to be careful due to allergies and intolerance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emersonsmommy
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Both of my boys are on the ketogenic diet curently.   It is extremely strict and a pain in the butt, but totally worth it for what its done for them.

newmommy-again
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM

does special formula count?

sukainah
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM

No..I just wish my kids wouldn't be so picky

wiccania
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I tried to do a gluten-free diet with my son, but that just wasn't working.  He wouldn't touch the bread, which eliminated half his diet -- he was very happy without his grilled cheese and pb&j, so I went gluten reduced.  Most of his diet is pasta and bread, so I substituted most of his pasta with gluten free varieties (I even swapped out the pasta in his kraft mac & cheese with gluten free pasta).  It DID help with his behavior, but it's so expensive.  Even if you're making the mac & cheese from scratch, a 12 oz bag of gluten free pasta here costs $3.99, while a 16 oz bag of regular pasta is 99 cents.

I'm going to try again starting with the school year, to convert back to gluten reduced.  Much of his diet consists of gluten-heavy foods (he's entirely too picky), but if I can at least swap out some snacks and his pasta with gluten free, I think he'll feel better and behave better as a result.

Linagma03
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

She is right now. She is 90% gluten free, 90% lactose free, 90% fructose/glucose free. Well she can have certain sugar substitutes, and table sugar. There are a whole long list of fruits & vegetables, herbs & spices that she can't eat. I've had to buy a lot of special foods and those are expensive. 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
letstalk747
by Joy on Aug. 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

when younger , not right now at 13

ashleywheeler13
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Dd is on a high calorie diet
aakeiser
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Gluton free and it didn't last. He wouldnt eat the food and It is really expensive.
trio8707
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Hayden and Blake are on a gluten free diet, Olivia is on a puree diet however she is mostly tube fed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)