Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is on vacation the next week. So yesterday when I took my son for a second walk of the day to the playground, He got kinda overtired and was having a meltdown hitting me, and bitting me, headbutting me when possible on my arm. Because he didn't want to have to walk back, it's like a half mile and he's 5. Normally he can do that walk but he was tired.

Today again it was later in the day and he woke up at 4am and he looked kind of tired and I didn't want to have the same thing happen so I took the stroller. Yes he is old enough to walk and I know this, but I didn't want him beating me up either for a half mile and I already knew he was tired. So we're walking back and he was happy in the stroller, and some woman screams from her car, "he's too big for a stroller" at that point i didn't even realize she was talking to me because she was like 20 feet away, then as she was pulling in the drive way- No blinker either, screamed "His feet work better you know!!" So I was kind of shocked and just kept walking, but kind of wanted to go back and explain that "I didn't want to get bit for half a mile and he has Autism and do you have a special needs child? I think your mouth is better closed ya know?" but as usual I just kept walking and didn't say anything. And I'm venting now... I kind of knew you all would understand.

by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM
Replies (11-15):
Linagma03
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Family are the ones that I have the most problem with. I am always being told to treat her like a 9 year old and she'll act like one or she understands and you need to stop treating her like a baby. Yeah!! You deal with her for a week or two then tell me to treat her like she is 9. Besides I don't baby her I treat her like the age that she is at cognitively & emotionally. 

Last night A decided that Lina is a 9 year old and that she understands everything that a 9 year old understands, that she can do the things that a 9 year old can do. I tried to tell her that Lina isn't there yet that the highest she is in some areas is 6. A doesn't want to understand that she says that Lina acts like all the 9 year olds that she knows. A has based this on the fact that Lina has reached that age where she is beginning to argue over everything, she is trying to lie (she isn't good at it), she is trying to be sneaky (again not good at it). A believes Lina understands what is being said to her when talk to like a 9 year old. A is now saying to treat Lina like she is 9, make her do things for herself because she is 9 she should do these things. I have gotten to where I just ignore her. 

• My 2nd time around. I LOVE EVERY MINUTE!!!
  •          boy n girlblowing bubbles
  •             R   &   A                Lina 
  •     teenage terror time!    special to all of us!
jjamom
by Michele on Aug. 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM
This!

Quoting Morningdove21:

WOW! What nerve she had, I would have wanted to go off on her myself. I applaud your ability to stay calm.you rock

Monkeymama930
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM
My son collects rocks on his walks, and people look at him funny. I just ignore them.
sharonsolo
by Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I once had a discussion with a "friend" of mine. She explained to Mr that the only thing wrong with my dd is that I baby her. Dd was four at the time, cognitively testimg at 1 1/2. I was so upset with this woman. This same woman questioned rather dd has ever had a seizure show up in a eeg because no one had ever seen her have one but me. She was stunned when I told her ever last one of then showed seizure activity.

Needless to say I haven't spoken to her since. I've lost a lot of so called friends since the birth of dd.

Amazing how people who know nothing about your child can have an opinion/judgment about the job your doing.

Quoting Linagma03:

Family are the ones that I have the most problem with. I am always being told to treat her like a 9 year old and she'll act like one or she understands and you need to stop treating her like a baby. Yeah!! You deal with her for a week or two then tell me to treat her like she is 9. Besides I don't baby her I treat her like the age that she is at cognitively & emotionally. 

Last night A decided that Lina is a 9 year old and that she understands everything that a 9 year old understands, that she can do the things that a 9 year old can do. I tried to tell her that Lina isn't there yet that the highest she is in some areas is 6. A doesn't want to understand that she says that Lina acts like all the 9 year olds that she knows. A has based this on the fact that Lina has reached that age where she is beginning to argue over everything, she is trying to lie (she isn't good at it), she is trying to be sneaky (again not good at it). A believes Lina understands what is being said to her when talk to like a 9 year old. A is now saying to treat Lina like she is 9, make her do things for herself because she is 9 she should do these things. I have gotten to where I just ignore her. 

lovebug8526
by Member on Aug. 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I really hate people like this,  When i would go to the mall and was time to feed my daughter  i would alway get nasty looks ( G-tub) . I do have to say when we first got the g-tub placed i hated feeding her in the open i would go in the bathroom and do. I finally got fed up and said who really care what others think they are no the ones who have to deal with a special needs child. I also keep telling my self that this is life for now and i have to do what need to be done. I feel that if people do like it they should not look!! plus half of these people that are giving all this nasty looks have no idea what a day is like with a special needs child.

Katie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)