Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Hello, I am new to the group

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hello.  My name is Kasey and I am new to the group.  Wanted to introduce myself and my 3 kids.  I have a 9 yr old son that was born with severe hydrocephalus.  He also has spastic CP, blind, feeding tube, scoliosis,  he is non verbal (except for mom) signs yes and no and is totally immobile.  He is a blessing.  He has 2 younger sisters, Chesney age 6 and Hayden age 2.  Thanks for adding me to the group. 

Levismommyof2
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lifeisajoy
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Hi Kasey I am new to the group too my son is 18 and such a joy and he has spastic athetoid cp- he uses wheelchair, gait trainer, non-verbal-has adaptive signs and uses dynavox and says some words "mama" didi (for dad) and some others.  Great to get to knowing you!!! 

Elayna90
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 7:22 PM
Hello and welcome. I have never heard of hydrocephalus. Could you explain it a little?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Welcome to the group! I can't wait to get to know you and your family. I was curious what Hydrocephalus meant as well!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 1, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Welcome to the group!  Look forward to getting to know you better:)

CameronsMommy23
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Welcome Kasey! I'm Amber, nice to meet ya!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levismommyof2
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!!   Let me start off by saying September is "National Hydrocephalus Awareness Month"!!!!  Hydrocephalus means "water on the brain".  When the fluid (water) cant pass through the brain correctly it builds up and causes the brain to be smashed causing brain damage and can also cause other issues like cerebral palsy and blindness.  If not treated it can be fatal.  My son was born with severe hydrocephalus so when he had his first cat scan his little brain was smashed to be paper thin.  This has caused serious brain damage causing lots of problems and issues for my special Levi <3.   He now has 2 shunts and his brain has grown tremendously, but the damage has been done.  We have went through 24 surgeries and he is now happy and healthy.  So we stay as far away from the neurosurgeon as possible, we dont want him to jenx us, lol.  Thanks for listening and allowing me to spread awareness about this life threatening condition!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)