Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could be Autism?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. :)  My daughter is a beautiful 2 year old who has a delay in speech and receives occupational and speech therapy.  We had an educational based evaluation done in May for autism and she scored within the means to receive this particular therapy and now we are going to have a medical evaluation done to see if she is somewhere on the spectrum.  Since the educational eval in May, she has improved on all of the things they mentioned including imitation and imaginative play but because she is going into the local school system in March when she turns 3, they are insisting on a medical eval.  Whatever the outcome, I love my daughter and will continue to support any type of therapy she needs; I want the best for her and will do anything I can to help her achieve everything in this world.  Has anyone been through this situation? Any advice is welcomed.  Thanks!

by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i.heart.myboys
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I have not gone through this but welcome to the group and can't wait to get to know you

kaydynsmomma
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Thanks so much!!

sammygrl77
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM
I have not, but tgere aee lits if mims here yhat have. Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IPorktheDead
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I have two autistic daughters. My 3 yr old is PDD-NOS and my 5 yr old has classic Austism. I am german so I cant be much help with the american version of it all but I can be supportive and answer any questions you have.

sayres
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM
My son has gone through a neurological and developmental evaluation but they weren't looking for autism. What was helpful for me to be reminded of was that no matter what the tests said it didn't change who my son was. He was still the complicated little angle he had always been. Good luck with the testing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Welcome to the group!  And Bump!

MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM

my DD is almost 3, and we just had our first evaluation (I suspect that she's somewhere in the autism spectrum so we're trying to figure out the "fine details"), and get the results on the 15th (why they're making me wait almost 2 weeks, idk). Chloe doesn't have a delay in speech; she can recite damn-near anything she hears (when she's rattling off an episode of Dora/Calliou/Veggie Tales, she changes her voice for diff characters), but she can't communicate (well, basics to tell me she wants to be changed, or specific snacks/foods, but otherwise you have to "speak Chloe-ese" to know what she's talking about), or look people in the eye when they do try to talk to her. and the symptoms don't stop there (she's incredibly clumsy but never seems to do any real damage when she hurts herself, "dancing" is spinning till she falls down, she flaps her hands and runs in cirlces... you get the idea).

i love my kid no matter what, and i'm pretty prepared for anything they're gonna tell DH and i. i just want to be able to help her.

aidensmomma508
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Welcome to the group! My name is Wendy I have a 5 year old Aiden he has Autism.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM
Welcome to the group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Welcome to the group mama!  My son is 3 years old and has PDD/NOS....he's on the spectrum, along with a few other issues.  This is a great group and we're glad you're here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)