• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My oldest just diagnosed with major depressive disorder

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

They said he shows some signs of psychosis too but think its controllable with meds. I dont know what to do, hes almost too old for me to control, he'll be 17 soon and he wants to go off to college. I am scared.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissaoliver79
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM

My 8 year old has psychosis from his ADHD meds and was hospitlized 2 times for it and 2 times for depression. They have him on Risperdal to control it and it works so far.

happygolucky106
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Im praying for you dear, its good he wants to go to collage but will he take his meds?Does he understand his condition?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Good questions...does he understand what his disorder is and what it requires?  That's always important!

Quoting happygolucky106:

Im praying for you dear, its good he wants to go to collage but will he take his meds?Does he understand his condition?

CameronsMommy23
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Like the others said if he'll take his meds & he understands his condition then I'm sure he'll do great! It's hard to let em leave the nest but you just have to believe you've taught him everything he needs to know. *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

Like the others said if he'll take his meds & he understands his condition then I'm sure he'll do great! It's hard to let em leave the nest but you just have to believe you've taught him everything he needs to know. *hugs*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Welcome and really thinking about you and your son--I also have a 17 yr old but he refuses to take his meds and he also wants to go to college-I pray everyday for him--sometimes I just have to give it to God (too much for me to handle alone)  We also have people working with him but the issue is they have not been on working as a team and that for sure does not help!!! My husband and I have been trying for them to work as a team!!!  That would be the best for my son and his conditions he have!!! 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:13 AM

welcome ,

i would be scared also , hopefully meds can help

i.heart.myboys
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Good luck to you. I never went through this myself but good luck.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM

We haven't dealt with this yet, but good luck.

cocktail
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Thank you for your kind words and prayers. He knows what he has but I think hes in a bit of denial since its all very new. He had to face almost going to juvie before he even agreed to see someone. I know hes 16 and its still my choice but if he was going to fight it i didnt want to bother. About the meds i dont know but i did tell his doctor that if they can give him combo drugs that do the same thing, the less drugs he has to remember to take the better. Right now they are considering going old school with lithium and trazadone to help him sleep he has bad insomnia.

Quoting happygolucky106:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)