Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people think all tubes are the same?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

So I was reading in the babies group and someone asked what a G tube was and someone said the one that goes down the nose. I know maybe if I didn't have a child with a tube that maybe I'd think the same but it kind of irked me. I don't know why!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hargonagain
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Maybe it is just ignorance.  I have no idea what a g tube is, so if someone asked I would say IDK.  However, maybe someone heard it referred to that one time and didn't know that there were other types of tubes (are there?)  I think instead of being irked it would have been a good time to just explain what it is and the difference. 

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes it's weird to realize that there is a whole world outside of "ours" where people honestly don't know the difference between NG, and G tubes....

I think most people have seen some st judes commercial with an angel-faced baby with an NG tube taped to his face, but not many people have seen an actual G-tube...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM

A lot of people don't know. So I would that as a good time to educate. But I get where you are coming from though. Because we get so caught up in our special needs world we forget that there are people out there who don't have to deal with any of this on a daily basis; that we just assume they should know the difference.

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 PM

that irks me to , did you set them straight

NErye4
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM

You mean people don't know about our world? lol

To be honest, I had no idea there was any form of a difference until Elena got her g-tube.   I think it's important to educate people on these issues as they are serious and important. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 10, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Yes, you're right...totally agree!

Quoting Elyssa414:

Sometimes it's weird to realize that there is a whole world outside of "ours" where people honestly don't know the difference between NG, and G tubes....

I think most people have seen some st judes commercial with an angel-faced baby with an NG tube taped to his face, but not many people have seen an actual G-tube...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)