Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

New to this - any advice for a single mom with a special needs kid?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello all, Im new to this. Im looking for help and support. my son is 6 months with severe brain damage and am really struggling with adjusting. any advice?

thanks melissa gardinal

by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CameronsMommy23
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Welcome Melissa! A lot of the moms here includidng me have children with brain injuries. We're here for you! Just take it one day at a time & make sure you take time for yourself! Do you have any family that can help you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissag1027
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

thanks so much for answering me. I have a little family help, but not much. Im young, and feel like my life is over. I cant do anything with him, and alot of friends dont understand.

letstalk747
by Joy on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM

welcome ,

one thing i never forget is the fact that its even harder for our kids

melissag1027
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM

thank you. im sure it is very hard for him. im doing my best....its hard

mandee1503
by Amanda on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group. My son has a brain malformation, and my advice is never give up hope. Also don't let the drs get you down. They may tell you all the bad news but kids have a way of surprising us. When you least expect it your son will start doing things you never thought possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissag1027
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM

thanks so much :] means alot. yeah the drs deff get me down sometimes. hes a litle miracle but a lot of work and a hand ful!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Welcome to the group mama!  My son has a brain injury/damage, but he's the sweetest little guy ever!  That makes him even more special to me and I know you're a great mama!  It's hard at times, and the hardest part for us was to accept things and be able to move on with our lives...just think of how much your child will be able to do and try not to focus on what they can't do.

You have a miracle little guy and he's blessed to have you as a mommy!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Dec. 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Welcome to the group!! I have 3 boys. My oldest was born with multiple brain malformations that have caused all kinds of problems, including catastrophic epilepsy. He is 9 1/2 now and doing SO MANY things the doctors told us he would NEVER do. It gets easier, no matter how bad it is. *HUGS*

doodlelu
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Welcome ;) My son dosent have brain damage - but I am a single mom too. It can be very hard at times doing everything by yourself. I get a little respite time each week - do you get any help that way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisp63
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome Melissa,
Consider yourself a very strong woman. You have been given an assignment to look after your son who has some challenges. Thats how I look at them. I care for my granddaughter who is 3 now and was diagnosed as spastic quad cerebral palsy with severe global developmental delays. Wow! That's a lot. But it's just a term. She has surpassed what the "drs" said she would do. You see, drs don't love our children, we do. You will find your strength and abilities you never knew you had as you embark in your journey with your precious son. He needs you to be strong for him because you are is advocate, you speak for him. And as you get to know him, you will see him differently. You will SEE his abilities because you will learn from him. Dont let him get categorized as they ALL do this and that. He is unique. Don't be afraid to disagree with them. They are NOT GOD. Arm yourself with information. Research every medicine, every therapy, don't be afraid to ask questions. The more you learn, the more confident you will become. You are the expert. You know your son. I know it's alot but it gets better as you adapt with appointments and therapies. You will amaze yourself. Seek support from family..it's ok. They need to learn as well. And as for friends, if they are true friends they will stand by you if not, it's ok. You will become part of a community that supports you and knows what you are going thru and will always be here for you. Don't say you can't do anything with him, you can love him. As you hold him, talk to him and caress him. He needs lots of touch. You will see him blossom as he feels you and hears you. Believe me what you get back is priceless. I know. My granddaughter has stolen my heart.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN