Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter is 3 years old and has a walker that she has to use in order to walk but i have not really used it in the stores or anything like that manly because she is a very slow walker so she goes in her stroller or the cart.  I was wandering how do you get used to your kids using a walker out in public?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FreeSpriT4eva
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Sorri I dont know..try postin in babies 1-3yrs group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

my dd is 8-she prefers her wheelchair for the larger stores-like kmart/walmart

for the smaller stores-like the dollar store-she does great-i just ask her if she wants to walk-99% she does

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Try taking to her stores that aren't usually busy, or if you go to a bigger store maybe take her during slow hours.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:23 AM
2 moms liked this

We took Brady to a museum, where there's LOTS of wide open space (children's museum) for him to walk around in his walker without bothering people.  You can also go to a park.

i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM
I agree with you on this one.

Quoting mandee1503:

Try taking to her stores that aren't usually busy, or if you go to a bigger store maybe take her during slow hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Sorry, I have to experience on this. DS can only go about 10 steps in his gait trainer. Definitely not ready for public walking yet.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Elijah never used a walker, but when he was having seizures all day we usually put him in his wheelchair... Sometimes he wanted to walk, though, an I would just prepare myself for the looks and plaster a smile on my face and tell him how good he was doing over and over. People usually were very kind waiting for him- and those that were less than understanding? Screw 'em! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
willysmama
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We took our son to smaller stores and parks. I say took cause we are currently waiting to get his new one cause his old one is beyond repair. Anyways when we went to bigger stores like walmart we tried going at night or in the mid to late afternoon when they are slower and let him walk. Sure it took longer to do the shopping but it was great for him.

rosegirl8477
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Another question how do you get them to use the walker at home she prefers crawling.
lifeisajoy
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting rosegirl8477:

Thanks for the ideas. Another question how do you get them to use the walker at home she prefers crawling.

Have set times inititially and also do something she likes while in it--like mine will play ball (we put a basket on the gait trainer) and also we have put musical toys on the gait trainer--it seems to work with him-- or he will watch one of his singing movies-lots of praise and encouragement for him--also sometimes we will just have him stand in it-put a couple bean bags behind him---

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)