• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The stares of other people.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do they bother you?

What is something that you wish you could say to those people?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stazzi
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
It gets so tiring. My son looks normal but has a lot of 'quirks'. We get a lot of stares and giggles. Some times I think parents of disabled children that actually look disabled have it much easier. Because my son looks normal, he is expected to behave 'normal' and think he is misbehaving. Most of th etime I dont say anything. Why bother? They dont really care and all I usually get is a blank look and oh but he looks normal.
valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Yes they get to me there was a woman last week giving it me . You would think I would be better at it my son wore a head shape helmet for over a yr before & I could not go anywhere without people saying stupid things all the time.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We don't get and stares yet. When people ask how old he is I think it throws them when I say 14 months.

CameronsMommy23
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM
No they don't bother me. He looks like any other kid except his left hand is weak. So we don't get stares too often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM
The stares we get are about behavior mostly not how my child looks just thought I would put that in lol
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Totally understand that mama!  

Quoting Stazzi:

It gets so tiring. My son looks normal but has a lot of 'quirks'. We get a lot of stares and giggles. Some times I think parents of disabled children that actually look disabled have it much easier. Because my son looks normal, he is expected to behave 'normal' and think he is misbehaving. Most of th etime I dont say anything. Why bother? They dont really care and all I usually get is a blank look and oh but he looks normal.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Yes, we get stares all the time as Brady's behavior is that of a baby in a lot of ways plus he does a LOT of stemming and flapping of his arms, loud strange noises, etc.  People look at us, stare, make faces, etc.  I don't let it bother me anymore...not for the most part.  I'm just used to it by now.

Tigress22304
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

yep-the proper question for me is-is there anything you haven't said yet to these people?! Believe me i've gone off on several ppl from being as nice as could be to being a downright nasty bitch.

yes my dd is nearly 8 and she is plus sized. Yes my dd is wearing a cast-strapped to a wheelchair-yes my dd is throwing nasty tantrums and is skitzing out horribly-THANKS FOR NOTICING.

My dd has autism and pseudoarthrosis-her left leg has been broken for6 yrs now-her  orthopedist surgeon refuses to let her have any type of excercise-and wants her kept in her wheelchair.

I've also gone off for ppl for making fun of handicapped people/children. I don't tolerate that bullshit.

i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:18 PM

With Austin he looks normal until you see him having his seizures, his tube and all his shaking. Everyone tells me he's a pretty baby but sometimes it's like they are judging him.

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

yep there has been a few time over the years that i have said something. not so much any more. krista looks  normal til you talk to her( she is 25 now) she has a little voice and she doesn't look 25. don't know if u can tell in the pic this is krista(blond) with her niece and nephew

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)