Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He won't quit biting his nails!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 25 Replies
Cameron bites his nails so short they bleed sometimes! Anyone else deal with this? I don't agree with Tabasco sauce on his fingers or aything like that so I don't know what else we could try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I've never dealt with this mama!  I'm sorry!  But I do agree with you about not putting Tabasco sauce or other things like that on his fingers...that's just mean in my opinion!

Brady still bites his arm at times and someone suggested to me that I put some pepper sauce or rub an onion on his so it tastes bad!  Ridiculous!  It was someone who always makes stupid comments like that so I wasn't surprised!

i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

There is something out there that taste weird if you put it on them. Justin bites his nails too. He gets it from us. My dh and I both bite our nails lol.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Maybe like a black licorice flavor? I know if my mom would have put that on my nails growing up I never would have bit them. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pogostick
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I'm 32, not special needs, and bite my nails constantly.

I honestly wouldn't stress it there's a lot worse habits to have

CameronsMommy23
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM
It doesn't bother me really it's just that he bites them so short they bleed at times! His nails are about half the normal length.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I agree! Pepper sauce or things like it are definitely rediculous. Some people! Lol

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I've never dealt with this mama!  I'm sorry!  But I do agree with you about not putting Tabasco sauce or other things like that on his fingers...that's just mean in my opinion!

Brady still bites his arm at times and someone suggested to me that I put some pepper sauce or rub an onion on his so it tastes bad!  Ridiculous!  It was someone who always makes stupid comments like that so I wasn't surprised!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Yes it started last yr after his ot introduced a chewy one of the possible side effects, bites his toe nails sometimes as well I just try to redirect & keep his hands busy or give him his chew.

My typical middle child bites his as well he has actually messed his teeth the orthodontist pointed out to me in the summer. I would love to have them both stop.
TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM

wait.. Him self-injuring to the point of bleeding and standing by wringing your hands is ok, but putting something on the fingers to make him stop is mean?!?!?  There really isn't anything else..hence why moms have put things on the finger of their kids so they break the habit..cause it works. It doens't have to be tabasco sauce, there are other things out there.  And just like ValleyMomma1 said that it will mess up his teeth.. so a bitter spray now for $5 or $$$$ for braces? Or preventing an infection from all the germs he comes across. Would you rather he be placed on antibiotics because of an infection in the skin? Cellulitis isn't fun!! It weeps and is gross..

But you are his mom, it is your choice.. and to me you sound silly :)

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM
There is a bitter nail polish I can not find it here in Canada anymore but it must be in the us you guys have a lot more selection of products.
karenl
by Karen on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I have the bite free nail polish, but it's not working for my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)