Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a child with osteomyelitis?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
My two year old was just diagnosed with osteomyelitis in December. Things are getting better but if theres anyone else out there with a child who's gone through it or who's going through it, it be great to have some support, advice or just someone who knows what it's like.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

No, I'm sorry mama...my son doesn't have that...may I ask what it is?  Never heard of it before.  Welcome to the group by the way:)

i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

What is ostemyelitis? My son does not have this diagnosis but I am curious to learn more about it.

HoltomHoney
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM
It's a bone infection, that typically occurs in the elderly and children under five or those with very weak immune systems. Its a bacteria that can get in through even the smallest opening. Hang nail, diaper rash, or if you brush and your teeth bleed it can get in through there too. It normally settles in the ends of long bones in children. For my little boy it settled in his tibia right above his ankle and growth plate. So he's not able to walk. And theres a good chance his right leg won't grow at the same rate as his left. Treatments differ depending on severity. Linc has had more surgeries and weeks on antibiotics. Syptoms are normally swelling in the area, pain accompined by a fever. And in our case there was no visible injury to his ankle and we never saw him do anything to it. A MRI can prove thats whats there. But they typically start with labs. A high ESR rate is a good indicator.
i.heart.myboys
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Oh wow poor thing. I'll have your little guy in my prayers.

Quoting HoltomHoney:

It's a bone infection, that typically occurs in the elderly and children under five or those with very weak immune systems. Its a bacteria that can get in through even the smallest opening. Hang nail, diaper rash, or if you brush and your teeth bleed it can get in through there too. It normally settles in the ends of long bones in children. For my little boy it settled in his tibia right above his ankle and growth plate. So he's not able to walk. And theres a good chance his right leg won't grow at the same rate as his left. Treatments differ depending on severity. Linc has had more surgeries and weeks on antibiotics. Syptoms are normally swelling in the area, pain accompined by a fever. And in our case there was no visible injury to his ankle and we never saw him do anything to it. A MRI can prove thats whats there. But they typically start with

HoltomHoney
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Thank you
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Wow mama!  Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that to us though:)  I appreciate it!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM
We don't. I'm so sorry you are dealing with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)