Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son has PDDNOS

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM
  • 11 Replies

and is physically 8 almost 9 but mentally he is about 5.  He can't wash his own hair and is very quiet most of the time.  He also has adhd.  He is always looking for money like everywhere.  He is very loving but it is so hard on me.  I have periferal neuropathy and can't do much with all the pain I'm in.  Hubby works 4 nights a week.  How do you other mother deal with everything?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Welcome to the group mama!  Glad you're here:)

My son is 3 years old, and he has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism (PDD/NOS), Aarskog Syndrome, & Brain Abnormalities/Damage.  I can definitely sympatheize with you mama...it's hard! Take things one day at a time, and you will make it!  Just make sure to take some time for yourself and relax when you can.  Take a hot bath at night to relax...that's my favorite thing to do after a long day!

sweetangie79
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM

I hurt so bad that I can't sleep at night without my heavy meds.  They make it so that I don't wake up to get my son up for school.  He is able to dress himself but he is hard to get up.  Most nights are like tonight.  I can't even walk.  My house is always messy cause of my health issues.  I am hoping to get disability for me.  I want to sleep but the pain keeps me awake. 

FoxxyMama1
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

{{{hugs}}}  I have a disorder that sometimes causes peripheral neuropathy and I've heard how painful it is.  A few of my friends have found relief through their local pain centers (I think she had a form of epidural) and another has gotten complete relief through accupuncture.  Are those options for you? 

As far as your son is concerned, have you applied to your State's Department of Developmental Delays (sometimes called Department of Mental Retardation and there are other names as well but you get the idea)?  They can provide you with respite care, they may have self-care classes for children with autism, etc. 

sweetangie79
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I can't have another epidural or acupuncture due to other health issues.  I have my lyrica and muscle relaxers and Advil that about all I'm not allergic to.

WDWEditor
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Definitely look into respite care, it should be available. Also see if you can get some home care aids to help you out around the house.  Call the local companies that provide home care I bet they know just the office for you to contact.  I know my aunt who has a hard time getting around has someone who comes in to help w/household chores and laundry and shopping etc. 

as for how you deal with it? You just DO.  After awhile it isn't so hard, but at first you feel snowed under and overwhelmed.  Don't hesitate to ask.  Work w/his schools/preschools they may have some ideas for help for you both or a coping class for parents w/kids w/disabilities. 

letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

just by dealing with everything , i have same issue with my  ASD with ADHD 11 yr old ,,, and my 6 yr old has ADHD and asthma

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Good advice...I agree about the respite care.

Quoting WDWEditor:

Definitely look into respite care, it should be available. Also see if you can get some home care aids to help you out around the house.  Call the local companies that provide home care I bet they know just the office for you to contact.  I know my aunt who has a hard time getting around has someone who comes in to help w/household chores and laundry and shopping etc. 

as for how you deal with it? You just DO.  After awhile it isn't so hard, but at first you feel snowed under and overwhelmed.  Don't hesitate to ask.  Work w/his schools/preschools they may have some ideas for help for you both or a coping class for parents w/kids w/disabilities. 

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Hi 

My son is 24/7 care and 18 yrs old and 130 lbs-he has cerebral palsy, disruptive behavior disorder, and moderate delays (he is on a toddler/pre-school level)  and gastrological issues--

I also have epilepsy, nerve damage (in my hands especially --drop things a lot), I got it because after my seizures sometimes I get shingles and that has caused permanent nerve damage--I also have severe migraines and I also have colitis

I got hooked up with our County Supports Coordination (through the Human Service Office)  We are provided with a lifeskills coach, respite, and health care aides--now when I worked outside the home-- the healthcare aides were through my sons medical assistance insurance but because I am home now--it got added to the county waiver program (pros and cons to that--took long time to get on waiver)  now they could probably-depends on states and programs-get you on non-waiver and get some respite for you in the home (that is what we had for 6 yrs--6 yr waiting list for us)

What I do to deal-take breaths, read bible, drink tea, get on here-Cafemom, talk to my best friend on phone-- watch the type of foods I eat-to help be more healthier-yes-take my meds --on a variety--two seizure meds, muscle relaxer as needed, pain-ibuprofen, Vitamin D with osacol-for strengthening of muscles, and on med for colitis as needed

and My husband is gone 3.5 days out of the week every week for his job also--

Message me anytime--

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM
I agree with the ladies, just take it one day at a time. Maybe a home health nurse for him and you would help? Also therapy could help as well. *big hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Welcome to the group!

I got to agree with the other ladies and you got to take it one day at a time. I am only a newbie to this game when it comes taking care of a SN son but my son needs 24/7 care and he's 15 months old. He constantly is having troubles with his saliva. So means I'm suctioning him out all the time. So lack of sleep and a good night is 4 hours of sleep. Once a month I get 6 hours which is amazing. But at the end of the day it's hard as can be. For a week I would get 1 hour to 3 hours a day. And I was so tired and crying so hard that I fell a sleep from exhaustion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)