Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about Ty after anesthesia, help?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 15 Replies
Ty was ok yesterday, extremely cranky but he was NPO, totally expected. After his scope though (and he went under) he's been extremely listless. The firs couple hours we expected that, typically after 2 hours he bounces back. His last scope in September he was running and jumping (we watch cautiously) and even went to a play ground about 4 hours after he woke up. You never could have guessed he went under.

This time we're scared. He literally will not move, talk, or look at anyone. It's been 19 hours! Is it the anesthesia?! The nurse last night was worried, his vitals were ok. Heart rate was 152, bp was 118/78, but pulse ox was 95-97, so good. This is 100% not normal for Ty and had me in tears all night. I've never seen Ty like this. Anyone else experience this?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sayres
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I've never experienced this. Is Ty stil in the hospital? Could you have a doctor check on him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Never had an issue with anesthesia. I would bring it up with the dr on the floor. I hope he bounces back soon!

marcie1455
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hang in there mama.  I will keep praying that all will be well.  Wish I could personally give you hug.  Keep us updated.  

Mipsy
by Chelle on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM
He started perking up. He's talking now and he sat up on his own finally a bit ago. We told the NP and she thinks he may have had too much anesthesia and was traumatized from the NG. I spoke with our nurse from yesterday in the recovery area and she said his anesthesia was very minimal and that wasn't normal. She's speaking to the anesthesiologist and we're gonna talk to the dr before or after his scope.

His scope was at 1pm but they took us down at 10am and we should be going in soon. Must've had a cancellation.

Quoting sayres:

I've never experienced this. Is Ty stil in the hospital? Could you have a doctor check on him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM

thinking of you and your son --

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Elijah experienced that once. After his very first brain surgery. It took about a day for him to really come around- had the PICU docs pretty nervous, but he bounced back!

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope he's back to himself soon! Could it be the lack of food?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pami5633
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I think he is just scared, exhausted and not happy about what is going on. Can't say i blame the little guy.This time seems to have kicked his bummy. As long as his vitals are good, slowly he will come around. My DD was different after each time under Anesthesia. She has woken up like the Tasmania devil, ripping all her iv, and tubes out. other times she has been great, while other times listless,  The time she was listless, she had Pneumonia, in her upper lobes, progressing to her lower. the Ox Sat should definitely be higher.  Stick to your guns mama, your always right.  :)

TommyAbby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

My hubby deals with anesthesia. Sometimes you bounce back quickly, and other times it could take up to 3 days for the effects to wear off. Depends on health before, how the body is healing from trauma or illness.   Glad to hear he is perking up more!! :) ***HUGS****

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Hopefully things are better sending prayers
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs to you mama!  Let us know how things go!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)