Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strange question

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • 8 Replies
Does a child diagnosed with SPD ( sensory processing disorder ) ever get " over " it? Is it something they will always have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM

in some situations- it can be controlled (reduced) very well-never sure if it goes completely away

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Not sure... Elijah had major sensory issues with food and any mess on his hands when he was a toddler that he went to therapy for and has totally outgrown but he was not Dx with SPD
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM
I don't know if they get over it, but I think with therapy it's something that can be manageable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxxyMama1
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I have some sensory issues - have had them since I was little and you don't get over them ever.  Rather you learn to manage them appropriately.  My son is 6.5 years old and I've found the older he gets, the more appropriately he handles his sensory needs.  So... now instead of feeling up his teachers shirts (he loves textures and will rub himself and his hands on a woman's chest if she's wearing a shirt with texture), he'll ask to be brushed, will as for a hug, etc.

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I do think it can become better for some & overtime & with good therapy you can manage it. A sensory diet has been fantastic for my son brushing therapy has has been a big part of that he can tollerate hand over hand he can sill get tense about it but it's better. For loud noises he used to wear ear muffs now we are down to only wearing them 30% of the times he needs them. I really think his weighted belt helps a lot to.
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

im sure its there for life , but can lessen with various theripies and  then come back strong again ,  and change to diff sensitivities while some are less others are more its ever changing with my 11 yr old son

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Not sure about that mama...my son has sensory issues, but he doesn't have SPD...I'd love to think his sensory issues will go away at some point!

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Brooke has spd. Her ot said that she would never be over it, but therapy would help her live with it. She has learned to tolerate certain things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)