• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Personal Victory

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, this morning, before heading to the hospital so Brady could get his PICC line taken out, we went to the Virginia Living Museum, where we go often as we have memberships there and Brady loves it!

Brady was walking all around and looking at all the animals, plants, etc.  He was having a blast!  I saw 2 other mothers with their young children (around 1 year old) in the same area as us, and they said hello.  We started chit chatting about our kids, how old they were, being moms, etc.  One of them is pregnant with another child too!  We were talking about how tiny she was:)  LOL!  So, when they asked how old Brady was (as they watch me feed him with a spoon, they see how I communicate with him without him actually talking to me since he doesn't talk, etc.), and I told them he was 3 years old, I got the usual response...surprise...they didn't say anything, but I could tell by their faces they were surprised at his age since he doesn't look or act like he's 3.  They weren't rude or anything but they weren't able to hide their faces:)

For the first time, I didn't explain to them why Brady is different...I didn't tell them he has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, Brain Abnormalities/Damage, etc.  In the past, as soon as people realize that he's different, I immediately want to "explain my child" to them and tell them why he's so delayed or why he acts like a baby or why he does weird things like flapping his arms, etc.  I don't know why, but I always feel the need to explain to people why Brady is different, once they've obviously seen him and begun to look puzzled.  

This time was different...I let them keep the puzzled looks on their faces and just continued the chit chat and never once mentioned anything about Brady and his special needs.  They could wonder all day long what was "wrong" with my son, and I was OKAY with that...I was OKAY with leaving things like that and NOT explaining things to them as I don't owe anyone an explanation about my child!  

This was huge for me, even though it may seem dumb to the rest of you, but I wanted to share:)

Thanks for reading!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Not dumb at all Darby!!  That is awesome you had your personal victory --and he is the sweetest boy and no need to explain all the time--Awesome you did this!!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Not dumb at all Darby!!  That is awesome you had your personal victory --and he is the sweetest boy and no need to explain all the time--Awesome you did this!!!

abbysmom028
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I agree

Quoting lifeisajoy:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Quoting abbysmom028:

I agree

Quoting lifeisajoy:

CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM
That's great & not dumb at all!! I'm amazed by how you deal with everything Darby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Thanks mama...you're too sweet!

Quoting CameronsMommy23:

That's great & not dumb at all!! I'm amazed by how you deal with everything Darby!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM
That's great. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM

a huge milestone even if not realized fully yet , i am awed by you darby

mom4fun695
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome !! I found myself last night having to explain my son's condition to some classmates of mine.. It's a wonderful victory : )- 

i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I agree completely with you!

Quoting lifeisajoy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)