Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you think?(church related)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM
  • 46 Replies

Thor and I have been going to the same church for 18 months. Last night (late,about 10 PM) my senior Pastor calls telling me we need to sit in the back of the church or remove Thor from service because "he is a distraction".  Thor will stand up when music is played and recognizes communion, he does not have meltdowns or  interupt service in any way.  I answered that Thor does what others do and a few of the things Thor was accused of other kids/teens do the same,I asked if all the other families were going to hear from him regarding this,he claimed not to know!

I gave my Pastor a few suggestions such as having a sermon that there was a special needs teen in the congergation and he refused. Paul and I decided to look for a new church.

We are hurt and angry,to us Thor was discriminated against.

What would you do?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness mama!  That's horrible, and I'm SO heartbroken that this has happened to you!  I would most definitely find a new church and never look back.  I'm just SO amazed that this has happened in God's house!  Just goes to show that we are all sinners and no one is perfect, but the Lord has a different church in mind for you and Thor, so keep praying about it and keep looking:)

sayres
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM
I really don't know what I would do. I find this very upsetting. I would think that if you don't have a problem with Thor's behavior they shouldn't. Did you let the Pastor know that his call made you feel that your son was unwanted at the church and that you would be looking for somewhere else to go? I don't want to get theological but wouldn't they consider Thor one of God's children? How can they reconcile that with wanting him to be removed from their view?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinChristine
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

. Did you let the Pastor know that his call made you feel that your son was unwanted at the church and that you would be looking for somewhere else to go? I don't want to get theological but wouldn't they consider Thor one of God's children

I did let the Pastor know we will find a new church. I also told him  God made Thor just as he made every member of the congergation.

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Wow. That is SO wrong!!! I'm so sorry. Yuck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
5 moms liked this
I really wish we all lived close to eachother! We could go fill up that church with disabled kids next week! Urgh!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobinChristine
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
by
I really wish we all lived close to eachother! We could go fill up that church with disabled kids next week
That  would be awesome!!
Alex825
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You have just described why I will never ever enter the Catholic church again. It happened with my daughter too, It happened in two separate Catholic Churches. My daughter is not disruptive, loved the singing etc. Yeah maybe she clapped at the wrong time, but hardly a reason to toss her ass out of the church. Broke my heart. I can not, will never  ever support being Catholic again. I have been to Baptist Churches with friends, and they encourage her participation with open arms. So has many other faiths. Freaking Hypocrites. I am not bashing the Catholics just their policies and snooty Congregations. In fact has made me question my faith. Please everybody, I am not interested in renewing my faith anytime soon. My daughter is worth way more than their hypocrisy. How do you explain to your SN child we cant go to Church any more, or if we do we have to sit behind a glass partition or waaaay in the back?  She is freaking 22 y/o now!  Eff that!  Nobody , let alone the Freaking Church will ever hurt my daughter.  

Alex825
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

so sorry you had to deal with the Church being, please forgive, complete assholes. Treating SH son like he is a leper for goodness sake. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH just makes me scream and cry too. angel

RobinChristine
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Alex,so soory you were put thru this. My church is a nondenominational church. I too gave up being  Catholic but for different reasons. PM if you want to know

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

So sorry this happened--I would leave!!  My son sings with people singing solo-my son claps when no one is clapping and he will humm songs even when they are done--and our pastor thinks he is awesome and loves him there--I have faith you will find the church that is great for your family!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)