Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Welcome to Raising Special Needs Kids! Please Introduce Yourself.....

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 1177 Replies
4 moms liked this

welcomeWelcome to Raising Special Needs Kids!  We're glad you're here!

Our goal is to get you talking with other moms.

Step 1:   Introduce yourself by replying to this post.   It will help us get to know you a little bit.

Step 2:  Jump right in and reply to any posts that you find interesting.  You may want to start some new conversations, too.

Step 3:  Feel free to invite some of the moms you meet here to be your friendTo send someone a friend invitation, click on the "Invite as a friend" link under their picture on their page.  

Here is a link to the CafeMom Help Desk:
The CafeMom Help Desk - Ask Questions Here! FAQs, Tips and Abbreviations...

If you'd like your 1st name or nickname added to your posts, click here:
Would anyone like their 1st name added to their posts?

Here are some group signatures that you can add to your posts:
Raising Special Needs KidsGroup Signatures!

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message. 

We really want you to have a great time in this group!

Now click reply and introduce yourself:)

teaMake yourself at home, relax and enjoy the group!

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Replies (1-10):
newmommy-again
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM
I spent 5 years raising my special needs son before he died in November of Niemann Pick Type C, a rare genetic disease. I work full time and now it is just me and DH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:13 PM
5 moms liked this

My name is Anne.  We have three children.  Ren is our "middle biscuit" and she is developmentally delayed.  She will be two next month.  She is brilliant in her own way.  I've certainly been through more than my fair share of arguing with insurance companies.  No fun!  Our other kids are typically developing and are 5 years old and 8 months old.  I'm not really sure what else to share, but I am looking forward to hearing about the experiences of others.  Sometimes being stuck at home with children, therapists and countless phone calls can feel really lonely and isolating.  Looking forward to getting to know you!

jmking241
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM
6 moms liked this

I have an Autistic son who is 5, He is just learning to talk now..His speech is that of a 2 year old, He is developmentally delayed, We had him diagnosed when he was 4 at Child Studies Center, A great place, They brought new light to our sitution. He is our baby, He is incredibly sweet and loving. We got lucky that he wants love and attention, A lot of Autistic kids don't like contact. We almost lost him from a febrile seizure he had a few months back..We found him unresponsive and not breathing..He was purple and blue, He had stopped breathing from aspirating, He was in the hospital for 4 days..We thank the lord he is okay. We found out he had a massive ear infection and couldn't tell us because he wasn't able to, We got tubes in his ears to fix this problem, Hopefully it never happens again. I came here hoping to find other mom's who share the same experiences as me, Such as Autistic children. Hopefully I meet some great people smile mini

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group mama:)  We're glad you're here...I'd love to hear about your son if you feel comfortable talking about him...what's his name?  What did he enjoy doing?  

Quoting newmommy-again:

I spent 5 years raising my special needs son before he died in November of Niemann Pick Type C, a rare genetic disease. I work full time and now it is just me and DH.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Welcome to the group Anne!

Quoting annelauer:

My name is Anne.  We have three children.  Ren is our "middle biscuit" and she is developmentally delayed.  She will be two next month.  She is brilliant in her own way.  I've certainly been through more than my fair share of arguing with insurance companies.  No fun!  Our other kids are typically developing and are 5 years old and 8 months old.  I'm not really sure what else to share, but I am looking forward to hearing about the experiences of others.  Sometimes being stuck at home with children, therapists and countless phone calls can feel really lonely and isolating.  Looking forward to getting to know you!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Welcome to the group!  I have a son with Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, & Brain Abnormalities/Damage.  I can relate to you mama!  Glad you're here:)

Quoting jmking241:

I have an Autistic son who is 5, He is just learning to talk now..His speech is that of a 2 year old, He is developmentally delayed, We had him diagnosed when he was 4 at Child Studies Center, A great place, They brought new light to our sitution. He is our baby, He is incredibly sweet and loving. We got lucky that he wants love and attention, A lot of Autistic kids don't like contact. We almost lost him from a febrile seizure he had a few months back..We found him unresponsive and not breathing..He was purple and blue, He had stopped breathing from aspirating, He was in the hospital for 4 days..We thank the lord he is okay. We found out he had a massive ear infection and couldn't tell us because he wasn't able to, We got tubes in his ears to fix this problem, Hopefully it never happens again. I came here hoping to find other mom's who share the same experiences as me, Such as Autistic children. Hopefully I meet some great people smile mini

freeanhappy
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Hi everyone im Barb ive got 3 kiddos 15 12 8 all special needs Mt two youngest are adhd vur NY sd whos 15 is my very special neds cgils ahes got major learning delay and has had mulirple health issues. They say her mantality is od an 7or 8 year old but she oh so 15 teenage girl . She got the teen tude lol shes the love of my life weve been thru alot together over her lifetime. She had open heart surgery at 6months old eye surgery both eyes at 4 I thu I dealt with all the craziness with getting stuff approved. My boys are adhd but also have angee issues cause of their dad . I had to fight for them too with insurance to meds oked for them. All 3 are A srudents and my dd is been on honor roll this year abd last. If she wants to try something shes done cheerl
eading last summer she played baseball and loved it so angone need advice please ask I help anyway I can
newmommy-again
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I love talking about my Daniel!

He was fine until age 3 and loved campfires in our backyard and helping daddy fix things and of course Elmo!

NPC slowly robs kids of everything - the ability to walk, eat, talk - everything! He slowly started to progress backward until he was fed by a tube and bed ridden when he died. I am always willing to tell my story, so if anyone is interested I can start a new post.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Welcome to the group mama:)  We're glad you're here...I'd love to hear about your son if you feel comfortable talking about him...what's his name?  What did he enjoy doing?  

Quoting newmommy-again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Yes! I would love to hear more about him & your story:) Please start a new post so we can all learn about him! Thanks!

Quoting newmommy-again:

I love talking about my Daniel!

He was fine until age 3 and loved campfires in our backyard and helping daddy fix things and of course Elmo!

NPC slowly robs kids of everything - the ability to walk, eat, talk - everything! He slowly started to progress backward until he was fed by a tube and bed ridden when he died. I am always willing to tell my story, so if anyone is interested I can start a new post.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting newmommy-again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lhomfeld
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Hello, my name is Lacey, I'm a SAHM of a 5 year old girl.

My little bundle of joy, is what other people (school) say, not normal. They believe she might have some sort of disorder, might be thinking autism:

She still talks in baby talk (she slurs her words together, says a lot of filler words, etc)

She will talk about something off topic

Incredibly shy (it took her months to like school)

She wants people to do the work for her (homework, chores (clean room, which stuffed animals go in 1 corner, toys go in a box on the other corner, books on shelf) )

I was told to get her tested, for autisim & special ed (which im fine with, my brother was in full time special ed)

She is in tutoring, and working with a speach therapist at the school, and going through a program to help her with her social skills.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)