Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to Raising Special Needs Kids! Please Introduce Yourself.....

welcomeWelcome to Raising Special Needs Kids!  We're glad you're here!

Our goal is to get you talking with other moms.

Step 1:   Introduce yourself by replying to this post.   It will help us get to know you a little bit.

Step 2:  Jump right in and reply to any posts that you find interesting.  You may want to start some new conversations, too.

Step 3:  Feel free to invite some of the moms you meet here to be your friendTo send someone a friend invitation, click on the "Invite as a friend" link under their picture on their page.  

Here is a link to the CafeMom Help Desk:
The CafeMom Help Desk - Ask Questions Here! FAQs, Tips and Abbreviations...

If you'd like your 1st name or nickname added to your posts, click here:
Would anyone like their 1st name added to their posts?

Here are some group signatures that you can add to your posts:
Raising Special Needs KidsGroup Signatures!

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message. 

We really want you to have a great time in this group!

Now click reply and introduce yourself:)

teaMake yourself at home, relax and enjoy the group!

by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Replies (1121-1130):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Welcome to the group!

Quoting GELiz:

HI, I'm a retired teacher, grandma and tutor. I also write grammar and writing curriculum with special needs in mind. I wrote it first to use in my inclusion classroom. It worked so well, that I started to sell it. Right now, I am trying to boost my tutoring business and am beginning to put together a vocabulary curriculum using categorization  to help with retention. I am here to learn from the experts of children with disabilities: their moms. But I hope to be able to share any knowledge I might have that can be helpful to you as well. thank you for letting me into your lives.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Welcome Katie!

Quoting katie_c25:

Hi, I'm Katie. I'm 28, married for 8 years and I have 2 kids. My 6 year old DD has ADHD-combined, she was diagnosed at 4 and is doing great in first grade thanks to her meds (although she's still a terror at home, but guess that's just because I'm Mom lol). My 3 year old DS is still a bit of a mystery. I suspect that he has Aspergers, we have an appointment with his pediatrician tomorrow morning so I can tell him about my concerns and see what he thinks and where we go from here. My DH is a bit older than me, set in his ways, and thinks that none of this is real since it wasn't around when he was a kid, he doesn't see a problem with our son at all, but he doesn't pay much attention. So it's going to be an interesting appointment lol. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Welcome Stacy!  Glad you're here:)

Quoting ZansMommy:

Hi.  My name is Stacy.  I'm not sure if this is the right group for me or not, but I'm just starting out on this journey and really could use some support and words of wisdom from moms out there. 

I just moved in with my fiance and his children (he has custody of them) last weekend.  I have two children from my previous marriage (DS age 7, DD age 4) and he has four kids (all DSs ages 15 through 6) from his.  We are getting married later this year but found a great house and decided to start blending our families early.  So far it has really been adventure.  Things are made somewhat difficult by his 9 year old son, who has some sort of behavioral disorder, most likely ODD (he has been referred by his counselor to see a clinician and we will hopefully have a better idea of diagnosis soon and some better tips and tools for working with him).  Things in the house are always dramatic, always loud, always full of conflict.  When his DS doesn't get things exactly as he wants them, he gets beligerant and violent.  My kids don't quite know what to make of this and I'm having trouble continually dealing with it.  He is incredibly defiant, yet at the same time, he seems to have developed a bond with me and calls me mommy and can be incredibly sweet to me.  His is a long story involving his adoption, learning at too young an age (from the birth mom and adoptive mom) that he was adopted, and then later his adoptive mother basically rejecting him.  He has a lot of issues with attachment and anxiety towards abandonment- totally understandable.  He is Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.  He's a sweet boy half the time, happy to help or sit and be cuddled with and the other half incredibly difficult to handle- controlling, violent, defiant, beligerant and antagonistic.  I love him but at times he's difficult to like. He drives his siblings, his father and me to insanity.  It's a lot to take on and adapt to.  My fiance is an amazing father and partner though and I do love his kids already as if they were my own, so I am willing to take on the challenge.  Still, I know I am going to need support and guidance.  I joined a step mom group too, but I think more than help with being a step parent, it's the words of wisdom from moms who have children with special needs that I am going to need the most.  I hope this is the right place for me. 

ArmyEsposa
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM
  1. Hello all...mom of two boys 11 and 6. Military wife and  current community counseling grad student. My 11 yr old was diagnosed with a chronic IBD Ulcerative Colitis. Not fun for him...poor kiddo been dealing with it for 3 years. 
jenisom
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Hi, my name is Jennifer, mom to a typical girl age 15 and a son age 10 who is undiagnosed but falls under CP, has a seizure disorder, non-verbal, non ambulatory etc etc. I live in a very small town and need to connect with other moms like me :-)

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

welcome , im joy glad you are here

Quoting ArmyEsposa:

1. Hello all...mom of two boys 11 and 6. Military wife and  current community counseling grad student. My 11 yr old was diagnosed with a chronic IBD Ulcerative Colitis. Not fun for him...poor kiddo been dealing with it for 3 years. 

letstalk747
by Joy on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

welcome Jennifer , im joy , glad you are here

Quoting jenisom:

Hi, my name is Jennifer, mom to a typical girl age 15 and a son age 10 who is undiagnosed but falls under CP, has a seizure disorder, non-verbal, non ambulatory etc etc. I live in a very small town and need to connect with other moms like me :-)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Welcome!

Quoting ArmyEsposa:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Welcome Jennifer!

Quoting jenisom:

angelsfourkids4
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

hello i'm a mom of 4 wonderful kids... 2 are special needs, one has mild asperger's with mental illness? or so the psychiatrists have said and one has cerebral palsy... physical handicap but intellectually amazing...

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)