Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Are any of your kids in horseback riding and/or Special Olympics???

Posted by   + Show Post

Just thought of that because we had to go to the doctor to get the forms filled out.  My son has done it for years and love both of those activities.  Right now my son just in Track N Field--he is in wheelchair races and obstacle wheelchair races also, softball throw, and the carnival games they have-- for Special Olympics use to be bowling but we can't get the schedule to work out-they have it start even before he gets off the bus--

So if your kids are do they like it?  and what do they participate in at the Special Olympics?

by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
freeanhappy
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM
My child ridez ans does trac and feild she loves it alot
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lifeisajoy:

That is awesome!!

Quoting kimber2465:

we do special olympics- our daughter does bowling, track and field, bocce, basketball, horseshoes, volleyball, softball and anything else she wants to do or try. we also coach and volunteer

yep it is- we love to watch all the kids and the adults!! we let our daughter try/do whatever she wants. i think we are adding soccer this year

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Welcome to the group!!! and that is great!!!

Quoting freeanhappy:

My child ridez ans does trac and feild she loves it alot

Dmartin1986
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

i tried to get my DD into wheelchair sports but they willnot take her because she is BLIND!  what a crock!

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM

that is not right at all!!  Did you get to talk to a variety of people re: this??

Quoting Dmartin1986:

i tried to get my DD into wheelchair sports but they willnot take her because she is BLIND!  what a crock!

wanderingwolf
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:08 AM

My brother doesn't like horses and mom and his dad wouldn't let him horseback ride anyway due to the risk of falling off the horse or being thrown and having to go back to the hospital for another shunt plate.  My poor brother has to miss out on lots of things due to the full shunt plate as a result of his brain tumor he had at 4 years old.

mom2aspclboy
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hi, sorry, just saw your question.

He didn't qualify because, when he was younger, the requirements were that a child had to have a diagnosis of mental retardation, which my son does not. It has since been changed to having a diagnosis of mental retardation or a closely related developmental disability, but my son would still have been too high functioning intellectually to enjoy participating in Special Olympics and now he's just too old to care to.

It's kind of sad, because he's physically unable to compete with typical kids his own age, yet too high functioning for the programs designed for those with special needs. He's always been stuck in the middle. Now that he is a teen, it doesn't matter so much to him and he's managed to find his own niche in horseback riding and target shooting.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

What are the requirements to qualify?  I didn't even think about that...just figured any special needs child could participate.

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

My son doesn't qualify for Special Olympics, but he does participate in therapeutic riding during the warmer  months. He loves riding, but it is hard on him physically. He doesn't compete or anything like that, he just rides for pleasure.

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM

glad he does target shooting and horse back riding-that is awesome!!

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

Hi, sorry, just saw your question.

He didn't qualify because, when he was younger, the requirements were that a child had to have a diagnosis of mental retardation, which my son does not. It has since been changed to having a diagnosis of mental retardation or a closely related developmental disability, but my son would still have been too high functioning intellectually to enjoy participating in Special Olympics and now he's just too old to care to.

It's kind of sad, because he's physically unable to compete with typical kids his own age, yet too high functioning for the programs designed for those with special needs. He's always been stuck in the middle. Now that he is a teen, it doesn't matter so much to him and he's managed to find his own niche in horseback riding and target shooting.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

What are the requirements to qualify?  I didn't even think about that...just figured any special needs child could participate.

Quoting mom2aspclboy:

My son doesn't qualify for Special Olympics, but he does participate in therapeutic riding during the warmer  months. He loves riding, but it is hard on him physically. He doesn't compete or anything like that, he just rides for pleasure.

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thinking of your brother, you, and your parents--does he participate in anything--I know I worked with a young lady who had a shunt--but I took her out to eat, for rides, and to picnics, parties, and shopping--every dayshe would have many seizures-and her parents wanted to have her as fulfilled life as she could--

Hugs to your familygroup hug

Quoting wanderingwolf:

My brother doesn't like horses and mom and his dad wouldn't let him horseback ride anyway due to the risk of falling off the horse or being thrown and having to go back to the hospital for another shunt plate.  My poor brother has to miss out on lots of things due to the full shunt plate as a result of his brain tumor he had at 4 years old.

wanderingwolf
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Thank you lifeisajoy. My mom and step father (father to my 9 year old brother and my sister who is turning 12 tomorrow-can't believe how fast they are growing, especially my sister) let my brother participate in swimming (he loves the water), fishing, hunting with his dad and grandfather (they both have their own host of problems) and their dad takes my sister hunting as well.  They go to FL once a year with their grandparents for a couple weeks.  Their grandfather has diabities and high cholosterol as does their step father's uncle and their step father has MS and it's affecting his brain and he can't work, their father fell from a tree while hunting back before my sister was born and so he has a bad back as well so he can't work (they're working on getting him SSI) so it is highly likely that the kids, or at least my brother will develop MS, diabetes and high cholosterol as he gets older due to that  stuff runs in his father's side of the family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)