Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

help

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM
  • 10 Replies
My son is 8 and has autism and he also eats things he shouldn't ben eating like rocks, sand, and bolts etc. I do not know how to stop it, we watch him but we cant watch him 24/7 l. His doctor told us to give hims zinc which isn't helping. I don't know what to do
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dmartin1986
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Wow, that's scary! I wish I had some tremendous advice to give you but I honestly couldn't tell you what to do. (my own Daughter eats anything she gets her hand on including dog food, grass, dirt).  I guess the only thing you can do is sit down with him and put the objects he's putting into his mouth in a bowl.  Have food in another bowl and have him pick which one is better to eat.  make a game out of it until he understands that what he's putting into his mouth, could make him sick and not healthly.

sammygrl77
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM
How scary! I have no advice. Sorry:(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
letstalk747
by Joy on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

welcome  , scary issue , my ASD son did this when younger he it 12 now , he grew out of it i guess , ,,, it keeps you jumping huh

mandee1503
by Amanda on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

That's scary! I'm so sorry to hear that.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:23 PM

That is scary mama...I would maybe get a second opinion from another doctor on more ideas of how to help your son...good luck!

3Dani75
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

my son is also autistic, he did this all the time when he was younger, amytime we went anywhere he had to taste test the cat/dog food, he outgrew it though so i'm noy sure what to tell you (my sons going to be 10 soon) he had this problem for a few years but then stopped just as quickly as he started, he also ate rocks too and would try to peel layers of sheet rock off to taste at my sisters house, most of what he tried was different food types, his doctor said the food(dog/cat)shouldnt hurt him and neither would dirt or sucking on a rock as long as he didny swallow it, I think its the salty taste (animals like horses like rocks because of the salt) they also like the different textures, good luck figuring out what to do about this.

amazontmomma
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Hi I also have an 8 year old son who does this. Some kids on the spectrum do this as they really like the input they get from the textures but is he has been doing it for quite a while I would say he may be like my boy and have Pica. Most people know babies have it and grow out of it as well as expecting mothers, though it is an actual condition that for some never goes away. For our son it is a compulsion & he can not help himself, his favorite things are dirt, sand, moss, bark pretty much all plant life.  We watch him pretty close I have chosen not to freak out when he eats things that really will not hurt him but seem totally gross to us LOL like grass or moss. Our son started this at 2 and is still doing it now I still have hopes that he will stop one day.

You might want to try & have small snacks and finger foods around that remind him of the things that he is eating. Like chocolate covered raisins (for rocks), types of salad greens ( for grasses),raw couscous (for sand)  ect. If he is seeking sensory input he might really like this & it may cut down on the non food things he is eating. My Son eats random things like dry rice & dry spaghetti noodles too LOL I think they remind him of twigs & such. It is better for us in the winter months when he does not have as much access to out door things :)  Also I find that having one of those baby monitors with the camera screen that you can take with you is helpful if you have to be in part of the house where you are away from your child. You can put the camera units in rooms where he does most of his playing. We got ours for $40 from a local discount store, but if you are strapped you might find one for less used on line.

Hope this is helpful & if you just want to chat feel free to message me, good luck from one mom to another :)

lifeisajoy
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM

great advice my son use to eat things he was not suppose to (well still does once in a while) but we also tried the different snacks (on hand at all times) and also did a story re: what to eat and what not to and he had to match it--we also talked about the proper foods-he was eating and short positive phrases- when he ate right-now my son don't have autism --I think a lot was attention seeking (and he has disruptive behavior disorder) and also his developmental level and also his severe neglect --lack of food/proper food for many many years-he is adopted at an older age--so we may have different issues but my son does this a lot less but it took years --Wish you and your son the best-talk to me anytime trying to get through this--

also I thought my son might of had pica due to the severity of this in the beginning but I don't think he does anymore---

Quoting amazontmomma:

Hi I also have an 8 year old son who does this. Some kids on the spectrum do this as they really like the input they get from the textures but is he has been doing it for quite a while I would say he may be like my boy and have Pica. Most people know babies have it and grow out of it as well as expecting mothers, though it is an actual condition that for some never goes away. For our son it is a compulsion & he can not help himself, his favorite things are dirt, sand, moss, bark pretty much all plant life.  We watch him pretty close I have chosen not to freak out when he eats things that really will not hurt him but seem totally gross to us LOL like grass or moss. Our son started this at 2 and is still doing it now I still have hopes that he will stop one day.

You might want to try & have small snacks and finger foods around that remind him of the things that he is eating. Like chocolate covered raisins (for rocks), types of salad greens ( for grasses),raw couscous (for sand)  ect. If he is seeking sensory input he might really like this & it may cut down on the non food things he is eating. My Son eats random things like dry rice & dry spaghetti noodles too LOL I think they remind him of twigs & such. It is better for us in the winter months when he does not have as much access to out door things :)  Also I find that having one of those baby monitors with the camera screen that you can take with you is helpful if you have to be in part of the house where you are away from your child. You can put the camera units in rooms where he does most of his playing. We got ours for $40 from a local discount store, but if you are strapped you might find one for less used on line.

Hope this is helpful & if you just want to chat feel free to message me, good luck from one mom to another :)

jjamom
by Michele on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I would contact a Feeding Disorders Clinic. They might diagnose him with PICA, which is a condition where people will eat inedible things. It is often the result of a nutritional deficiency. It sounds like his doctor may think his zinc is that deficiency. But, a feeding disorders clinic would probably be your best bet for testing and strategies, etc.

My son attended a feeding clinic for something else, but I am pretty certain they treated this as well.
wrensong
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM

My daughter eats things she shouldn't. Also she doesnt know when to stop eating. She used tog et up in the middle of the night and eat out of the garbage, out of the fridge, and get into things like deodorant and diaper rash creme.

We finally put an alarm on the kitchen door and then move it to her bedroom door. You can get one for about $5 at wal mart.

As for during the day, it's hard. We really have to keep an eye on her. My biggest fear is of her eating something and us not knowing about it until she gets sick from it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)