Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

celiac disease

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM
  • 16 Replies

Hi took my almost 4 year old to the gi doc yesterday they think he might have celiac disease my goodness not a good bit of new for us do to the face he eat mostly things that have gluten or wheat in them :(:( guess i am going to start today trying to find gluten free choice of the foods he likes

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Welcome to the group! I know Celiac's Disease is a pain in the neck to deal with since I have it unofficially. I never had myself formally tested, but I know from observation that I have trouble with wheat. It is unfortunately a costly diet to deal with on a regular basis since wheat is in so many different foods. I recommend trying your local natural foods store to find gluten free stuff. Some grocery stores and supermarkets carry it, but it takes a little bit of searching and asking for directions to find it. I recommend picking and chosing what manufactured gluten free foods you use on a regular basis, and you should keep some of the stuff for special occasions.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

sammygrl77
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Welcome to the group!

There is a blog with lots of gluten free recipes, SuperPickle. I'm not sure the exact address. I'll try to find it when I get on the PC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessSpiz
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

You can definitely start out with Gluten-free foods to see if it makes a different-no harm in that. However, I would definitely to the blood test that can show a gluten intolerance to confirm. My daughter just had it down and we had results within a day. I don't know where you live but , most grocery stores stores have a Gluten-Free section (Walmart/Target do which are national), and health-food stores have a larger section. Our local pizza places even offer a gluten-free crust. Celiac is really prevalent so it shouldn't be too hard to find things unless you live in a very remote area. If you google "gluten" you will find tons of info...http://www.celiac.com/

Good luck!

sammygrl77
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Good luck. That seem like a tough change in food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannanAjluni
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM
3 of my 4 kids have three different degrees of Celiac Disease. If you want help, let me know!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed2bhismom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

thanks if it turns out to be i will definitely ask not going to start changing things till i know what is up we do the blood draw on may 1st hopefuly that wont b to long not sure if i should try to find gluten substitutes sooner or just wait what do you think

Quoting ShannanAjluni:

3 of my 4 kids have three different degrees of Celiac Disease. If you want help, let me know!

ShannanAjluni
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM
There needs to be gluten in the system for the blood test to be accurate. But, you can start the switch the day of the test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed2bhismom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:12 AM

oh ya tat makes since thanks for the heads up

JessSpiz
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

ask them to move the blood test up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)