Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Do all seizures do this?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
Do all seizures make a person tired? Ty looks to have had a new seizure type this morning lasting 4 minutes. His eyes were blinking and rolling up into his head, he was sucking and chewing on his bottom lip, and his right hand was twitching. It took 2-3 minutes afterwards for him to come around and then he was fine for a couple minutes and then fatigued all of a sudden and wanted a nap. It seems like no matter the seizure type, he tires out so easily, why is that? Could it be cuz he possibly has mito? Or is this an epilepsy thing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobinChristine
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Thor and I have grand mal seizures,we both are VERY tired after one. IMO I think  no matter the type of seizure,the brain is over active thus the tired feeling. I hope he feels better

FoxxyMama1
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

My son would fall asleep right after his seizures.  The first time it happened, I thought he had passed out.  A police officer who had responded to the 911 call thankfully knew that it's very normal to fall asleep after a seizure because I was hysterical.  It's called the post dictal (sp?) phase.

My husband had a grand-mal last year for the first time and was asleep and unrousable for at least a half an hour - when he came around, he was in the ambulance and thought he was being attacked and started fighting the paramedics.  He didn't really understand what was going for a good hour.

RelaxedMom2-3
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I have had them for 33 years. Everytime I have one I am drained afterwards. Not sure the reason, besides the brain going into overdrive.. I think it happens with any kind. Hope he gets to feeling better.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

These ladies seem to know exactly what they are talking about...good luck mama and I hope you get some answers soon!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Definitely!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM
My older son had a febrile seizure when he was about 15 months old. He passed out just after and slept for quite some time, until they started trying to draw blood to find out why his temperature was so high. At that point he was just inconsolable.

I was told that it is normal to sleep after a seizure and also that the patient can physically ache all over in the post-dictal state too and may not want to be touched, held, etc.
Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM
I guess when you think about what happens in the brain, it makes sense. His grand mals I understand the fatigue, you can see his body working so hard. But the others seem so mild physically I forget what they do mentally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom4fun695
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

DS gets tired after his seizures.He's usually dazed and confused for a few minutes after it happens.

Blew
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Do you know what's causing the seizures ? And if anything can be done to lessen the intensity of them ? Good luck I hope he's feeling better soon
Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM
They are suspecting a mitochondrial disease right now. Beyond that they have chalked it up to family history cuz my husbands first cousin had them just like my son and passed away at 28 from them. They upped his medication today by 4mls a day or 220mg a day.

Quoting Blew:

Do you know what's causing the seizures ? And if anything can be done to lessen the intensity of them ? Good luck I hope he's feeling better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN