Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Epilepsy and Absence Seizures

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a question about seizures. A friend of mine.. her daughter has epilepsy. It was discovered when she had a grand maul seizure a couple of years ago.  More recently she has been having a lot of absence seizures.. but on Thursday night she was having an absence seizure.. it lasted a couple of minutes though a little longer than a normal one.  Then she came out of it, she wanted to go take a shower..got up and ended up vomiting once.  Started feeling better, then had another absence seizure.. but came out of that one ok.  She was exhausted after  and a little peaked.. but She ended up sleeping through the night and going to school the next day ok.  I was just wondering if it's common or possible to vomit after an absence seizure?  Most of the time that doesn't happen.  But she only did it once and then had another one a little later.. so I'm guessing it was from the seizure.  I didn't know if there was another type that it could be?  similar to absence seizure..since it was a little longer than normal.  I guess it is common that she feels a little nauseous after having one.  I know vomiting is common with grand mauls and the bigger ones.  Can anyone help with this? She was just researching it and wondering.  Most of what we looked up and read said vomiting doesn' thappen after absence seizures.  Dealing with dr's is getting overwhelming for her I know.  Anyway... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM
We don't have seizures but here is a bump. Hope someone can help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I have more absence seizures than grand mals now adays--but I never vomitted for either--so a bump!!!

clynn79
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Not sure if it helps but I'm 33 and I throw up after every seizure. My doctor said some people do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Elijah didn't vomit after seizures, but there is a really strong connection between the whole digestive tract and neurology! Like how Elijah's implant stimulates his vagus nerve to stop him from seizing... The vagus nerve runs up into the brain, but it also runs down and controls the stomach and intestines. When Elijah is having seizures, he often has 3-5 runny BMs a day and it's all connected! So vomitting during or after a seizure is totally within the range of normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momgirlsx2
by Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:07 AM
My dd has absence seizures and she hasn't had vomitting with them. She has Gand Mal seizures too and she does have nausea and vomitting with those. We've been told by her Drs. That anything is possible with any seizure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Glad these ladies are able to help...I have no idea but wish you the best:)

lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM

yeah I have major bm issues after seizures  

Quoting Elyssa414:

Elijah didn't vomit after seizures, but there is a really strong connection between the whole digestive tract and neurology! Like how Elijah's implant stimulates his vagus nerve to stop him from seizing... The vagus nerve runs up into the brain, but it also runs down and controls the stomach and intestines. When Elijah is having seizures, he often has 3-5 runny BMs a day and it's all connected! So vomitting during or after a seizure is totally within the range of normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)