Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breathing Issues

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son Wyatt is almost 2, he was dx with autism in March.  He has had these breathing issues for a while now.  Where he would get so upset he would stop breathing, sometimes until he passes out.  He had low iron so he was getting iron supplements for 3 months and his breathing spells stopped after a few weeks.  Well, about 2-3 weeks ago (he has been off th iron for 2 months now and the doctor at the time said he will not need to stay on it or go back on it) he started having these breathing issues.  Not too often or too bad and me blowing in his face seemed to be working the few times.  Last night was his first Speech Therapy and he was doing so well for about half an hour.  The last half hour he was getting frustrated and upset, throwing tantrums and he had a breathing spell.  But this time it was worse than ever.  Blowing in his face did nothing, it lasted longer than normal and he stiffened up rather than going limp like he normally does.  It was the most scary one ever.  The therapist asked me if he was having a seisure.  As far as I know he was not, he was just having his breathing episodes and he did it because he was upset I took something away from him.  Anyone else experience this?  I do have a call into his doctor and I am waiting.  They tell me this is normal and to just make sure he is in a safe place so if he does pass out and not to give into it, but I am sorry, I cannot sit there and do nothing while my child is not breathing and is turning blue.  Even if it is a tantrum.  I hate when he does this.  Help :)  Thanks.

Trust God. His plan is perfect, even when it is so contrary to our own....Unknown

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Do you think it might be seizures? If that could be a concern I would look into an EEG to rule it out. My son stops breathing sometimes when he's crying and upset but never passes out. Blowing in his face always works. Seems like there is more going on then just a simple tantrum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hartake74
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

At this point I am not concerned it is a seizure but they seem to be getting worse even though they are not everytime he gets upset (thank God!).  How old is your child and when and how often do they do their breath holding spells?  Because with Wyatt in the very beginning, blowing in his face worked great.  It started around 6 months of age for him.

Trust God. His plan is perfect, even when it is so contrary to our own....Unknown

JeneneRose
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take him to see a neurologist. My 2yr has seizures but non convalescing ones he just has eye deviation to the left and upwards and spaces out with very shallow breathing. There sounds like something more is going on with your little man. Also I would get a second opinion on the iron level. Hope you find some answer very soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
((Hugs)) don't know myself but just wanted to send you a hug and wish you and him well.:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 18 months old. For a while he would stop breathing from reflux, but we fixed that back in Feb, now its just when he fusses.

Quoting Hartake74:

At this point I am not concerned it is a seizure but they seem to be getting worse even though they are not everytime he gets upset (thank God!).  How old is your child and when and how often do they do their breath holding spells?  Because with Wyatt in the very beginning, blowing in his face worked great.  It started around 6 months of age for him.

willysmama
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My son when he was roughly 7 months to 2 yrs did that. Blowing in his face never really worked. He would only do it when he was angry. All of this happened after he became special needs. My son is now 7 years old

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I would definitely see a neurologist as that doesn't sound normal to me...good luck and hugs to you mama!

Hartake74
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Good to know.  He obviously started the breathing spells before his dx.  It is just the scariest thing ever, but apparently can be "normal" so to speak.  Thank you.

disneymom82
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like to add that you should video these episodes and show your doctors. They are trying to imagine what your child is doing and it sounds like they are down playing the situation. Have a video camera or a cell phone always ready and as soon as it happens, record. Record as many as you can and show his pedi and any other Dr you see until someone can help you.

I speak from experience of other breathing issues, our Drs would downplay our daughters apean and extremely loud snoring, so I finally started video taping. I took that to her next Dr appt that happened to be at a childrens hospital with her pediatric diagnostic Dr and he personally walked us to an ENT after her appt who then watched the video and scheduled her surgery.

Video and pictures speak so mcuh louder than your words. GL

Reinke_Mommy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
My NT DD now 6 use to have exactly what you are describing when she was about 9months until she was 21/2 we thought she was having seizures and took to see nuro team they test and eeg just to have tell us when she get upset like that she was just holding her breath and having a tanrum and when she pass out it start breathing again just put in a safe place until she was done I would get so scared her eyes would even roll but she did eventually out grow it thank God. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)