Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

NEED HELP POTTY TRAINING AUTISTIC CHILD

Posted by   + Show Post

hey im bethany, im a special needs teacher and special needs nurse, i currently am a live in nurse for a young man that is 7 years old, he has severe autism and his parents are away both in the military and i have to take care of him, they are trying to potty train him but with them being away its difficult and they are both about to deploy and i really would like to have him potty trained for them b4 they leave. i however dont have children so im not sure how to potty train, he is very good and very well behaved, im sure it wont take a long time to potty train him, but im not sure how to potty train. any help would be a great help and i know his parents would greatly appreciate it. :) thanks

by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Replies (11-16):
1plce4spclneeds
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Bethany, first off you are a wonderful person to tackle this for the family.  I would suggest starting an elimination chart.  You write down what time he eats and drinks and what time he eliminates.  After the second week you will see a pattern (e.g. he'll have a bowel movement 30 minutes after dinner).  Especially for someone older, you want him to make the connection that when his body feels a certain way, it's time to go to the bathroom.  Plus you're bringing him to the bathroom when you know he needs to go.

Keep in mind that he might have sensory issues or low muscle tone (hypotonia) that might make it difficult for him to determine that he does in fact need to use the bathroom.  You may also be dealing with some set in behaviors where he may try to be resistant.

I've collected a bunch of toilet training resources for special needs kids.  There are articles specific to autism, sensory and potty training older children.  Plus you'll find some elimination charts and visuals that you can use.  https://www.oneplaceforspecialneeds.com/main/library_toilet_training.html

kidsrock91
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Thanks so. Much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autiziumom
by Bravo on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
My best defense was consistancy. Every ten mins. It was hard!
andyroosmama
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

All 3 of my boys were potty trained before 4yrs of age... however, with sensory and texture it took a little longer for my youngest to be completely trained... what worked best for me is putting the potty chair in front of hte tv with cartoons on.

annakim
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I have a low functioning 7yr. old who was potty trained in preschool and when he entered kindergarden for reasons I can't pinpoint regressed and now being potty trained all over again.  Since his teacher at school would not train him I had to initiate.  I would take him every 15mins. using a timer and slowly increase the amount of time so he learns to hold his bladder.  I also do this without a pull-up or underwear because he would wet himself within 5 secs.  I am also having the school do this as well.   Good luck to you!

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 AM
bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN