Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

how many kids starting school in sept. ?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Joy
  • 18 Replies

K or 1st grade

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

We are figting tooth and nail to get dd into preschool. But everytime we call they won't take her because she doesn't turn 5 between Nov and Dec. Which it makes no sense because the fall of 13, she will be in K anyway. UGH!

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM
My son will start 1st grade in September, but is already in a full day Kindergarten program this year, because our school system went to full day about 5 years ago.
Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM

My daughter will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. I'm a bit worried, we went down just to pick up the registration packet and she was so over whelmed with all the people and noise that she was slamming herself into the wall and into me... Not a good sign.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

My daughter will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. I'm a bit worried, we went down just to pick up the registration packet and she was so over whelmed with all the people and noise that she was slamming herself into the wall and into me... Not a good sign.

Aww, poor little thing! Has she been in any kind of preschool program or anything?
Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM

She was for a few months, but they weren't doing anything for her, education wise they were teaching stuff she already knew (she's reading and doing double digit addition and subtraction), and she was completely withdrawn in the classroom. The teachers wouldn't listen to me when I explained to them over and over that she wasn't being a perfect student, she was zoning out and not doing anything.

It turned into a huge battle, one of the teachers was really nasty so I pulled my girls. We had originally planned to home school (like we had been doing with our older son), but it's gotten to  be too much for me, and my step-daughter is moving in with us as well.

When she was in pre-school it was a small classroom (10 kids, her, and her sister) and they never interacted with other classes. In school her class is going to be twice that size and she's going to regularly interact with other students (lunch room, recess, etc).

Quoting jjamom:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Aww, poor little thing! Has she been in any kind of preschool program or anything?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Brady will continue to be in his special ed preschool class next year:)

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Maybe you could see If there is a playgroup in your area or some kids in the neighborhood or even a summer camp program you could try to sort of get her used to being around a bunch of other kids. Do you belong to a homeschool group, I know many of them get together for field trips and things, maybe you could try something like that.

I was a nervous wreck sending my son to preschool and he loved it, so I can only imagine how you must feel if she is reacting the way she is. HUGS!
Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

We have a really great home school group :) There are a ton of kids from about 5-10. We try to get the kids together often. Plus, we have 4 kids, and I often help my sister by watching her son, so she's rarely alone. Her younger sister is 16 months younger than her. We also go to the YMCA every Wednesday for pre-school swim time. It's for kids 5 and under who aren't in school.

I just didn't want to send her off to a school where she was allowed to just sit and ignore everything, you know? I want to make sure that the teachers are prepared to engage her and kinda force her into interacting. Which is why my husband and I will be meeting with the school psychologist and then with the school psychologist and her teacher before school starts.

Quoting jjamom:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Maybe you could see If there is a playgroup in your area or some kids in the neighborhood or even a summer camp program you could try to sort of get her used to being around a bunch of other kids. Do you belong to a homeschool group, I know many of them get together for field trips and things, maybe you could try something like that.

I was a nervous wreck sending my son to preschool and he loved it, so I can only imagine how you must feel if she is reacting the way she is. HUGS!

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Maybe the environment was just a little overwhelming for her then. That's a great idea to meet with the team beforehand. They may have some really useful ideas about making it a smooth transition. They'll probably have a few orientation days too. Good luck!
Tinkerbellmama
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

They have one orientation day. May 9th they have a Kindergarten open house. Then school doesn't start until end of August/beginning of September.

Quoting jjamom:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Maybe the environment was just a little overwhelming for her then. That's a great idea to meet with the team beforehand. They may have some really useful ideas about making it a smooth transition. They'll probably have a few orientation days too. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)