Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Speech Therapy at school

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM
  • 27 Replies

Okay...Brady has an IEP meeting next month and we are starting our "fight" to get him Speech Therapy at school.  He was denied speech therapy for this year, and we didn't really fight it...their point of view is that the entire special ed program for the kids is speech language based, and that Brady doesn't have anything specific to work on with the speech therapist b/c he doesn't talk yet.  Yes, they claim that he isn't advanced enough to receive speech therapy...is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard?  

My child will be 4 years old in October, and he doesn't say mama or dada or ANYTHING (other than his recent word of "go")...don't tell me that he doesn't qualify for speech therapy!  That's beyond ridiculous!

They want him to talk some before he starts speech therapy at school...how do you think he will start talking?  How do you think he learned the word "go"?  He learned it from his outside speech therapist!  

This is an oxymoron, and it infuriates me beyond belief!  My husband won't stop until they agree to give Brady Speech Therapy at school...just 30 minutes once per week is all that we're asking for!  

Has anyone else ever dealt with this?  Or is it just our school system that has jacked up criteria for speech therapy?

**Brady has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, & Brain Abnormalities/Damage.**

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deadlights86
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM
That's ridiculous the speech therapist can help him to start talking. My nephew is 4 and autistic and his speech exploded when he started getting speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Thanks for supporting us:)  Glad to know we are not alone!

Quoting deadlights86:

That's ridiculous the speech therapist can help him to start talking. My nephew is 4 and autistic and his speech exploded when he started getting speech.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Now, he does get Speech Therapy once per week outside of school, but he NEEDS it at school too!

Quoting deadlights86:

blessed2bhismom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM

ya we were in aba and the speeech therapist was like just incourage sounds reinforce when he makes sounds but i think that is all he got they said he needs to be babbling more to do more.. my son will be 4 in July and he has no words either and very little non verbal communication so wishing you luck we just got our report back from the dev preschool and they put we wil discuss alligebility for preschool at case confrence where in other cases like my friends 2 kiddo put that they did get accepted into the program.  i am fighting the school right a long with ya good luck

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Infants and Toddlers were very reluctant to give my son speech therapy as well. Apparently it was standard procedure for them to deny children with DS, even though many kids much younger with other diagnoses were getting it). We fought for it and got it (but only for the last few mos before he ended their program and started ECI). Our Geneticist was going I write a letter on Alex's behalf. He was infuriated that our county was still trying to do that, even though he had written letters for quite a few other kids, who ended up getting it also. I think they will always try to get away with the minimum that they can.

If he has a private SLP and she is noting progress, I would ask her to either write a letter or attend the IEP meeting with you (my son's SLP did this once, in place of his therapy that week and charged us a regular session fee for consultation). She can give her expert opinion that Brady has been in ST with her and is making progress. Since he is in private ST, does he have a script for it from his Pediatrician? I would take a copy of that as well.

While it is true that many programs have a strong ST base, it is not always enough and what it will end up meaning is that your son 1) is not guaranteed any services and 2) your son will not get any 1:1 services with the SLP.

As for the "he's not talking, so he doesnt need ST", that is just ridiculous and if they know what they are talking about, would know this is not true. They can do oral motor therapy with him that will help strengthen the oral muscles and get them ready for speech. Many highly qualified SLPs will start children with disabilities on oral motor therapy as early as months old. Is he getting oral motor therapy from an OT?
lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh yes Darby!!! We dealt with that!! I had to go to Board Meetings-I had to go the Special Ed Director of where our school district is---They were not going to approve his talk box (communication device) nor give him speech therapy years ago--Well guess what he gots it-speech therapy, he has his talk box, and now he is learning how to use an IPAD and I DEMAND (nicely-as I can be-lol) reports of Speech Therapy every week!!! 

Wish you Well!! I know you will not back down!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Brady gets OT, PT, Speech, Feeding, and ABA therapies outside of school..totaling about 12 hours each week.  I know just how you feel...glad I'm not the only one!  They said Brady should be babbling more and attempting to talk before he gets Speech...ridiculous!  How do they think he will learn to do those things!

Quoting blessed2bhismom:

ya we were in aba and the speeech therapist was like just incourage sounds reinforce when he makes sounds but i think that is all he got they said he needs to be babbling more to do more.. my son will be 4 in July and he has no words either and very little non verbal communication so wishing you luck we just got our report back from the dev preschool and they put we wil discuss alligebility for preschool at case confrence where in other cases like my friends 2 kiddo put that they did get accepted into the program.  i am fighting the school right a long with ya good luck

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Believe it or not, there's a little boy in Brady's class who has DS and he gets speech therapy at school b/c he does say a few words!  He will be 4 this summer as well.  I will definitely have his neurodevelopmental pedi and speech therapist write letters to the school...great idea!  His ABA therapist will be present in the IEP meeting for sure!  His OT/Feeding therapist is awesome she does do oral motor stuff with him!  Thanks for your help:)

Quoting jjamom:

Infants and Toddlers were very reluctant to give my son speech therapy as well. Apparently it was standard procedure for them to deny children with DS, even though many kids much younger with other diagnoses were getting it). We fought for it and got it (but only for the last few mos before he ended their program and started ECI). Our Geneticist was going I write a letter on Alex's behalf. He was infuriated that our county was still trying to do that, even though he had written letters for quite a few other kids, who ended up getting it also. I think they will always try to get away with the minimum that they can.

If he has a private SLP and she is noting progress, I would ask her to either write a letter or attend the IEP meeting with you (my son's SLP did this once, in place of his therapy that week and charged us a regular session fee for consultation). She can give her expert opinion that Brady has been in ST with her and is making progress. Since he is in private ST, does he have a script for it from his Pediatrician? I would take a copy of that as well.

While it is true that many programs have a strong ST base, it is not always enough and what it will end up meaning is that your son 1) is not guaranteed any services and 2) your son will not get any 1:1 services with the SLP.

As for the "he's not talking, so he doesnt need ST", that is just ridiculous and if they know what they are talking about, would know this is not true. They can do oral motor therapy with him that will help strengthen the oral muscles and get them ready for speech. Many highly qualified SLPs will start children with disabilities on oral motor therapy as early as months old. Is he getting oral motor therapy from an OT?

blessed2bhismom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Ya exactly has anyone ever suggested a communication device Riley hospital speech therapist recommended the vantage light for tj we have only a few signs I am considering it but as I am sure you are aware if aba is not a big promoter of such devices
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
((Hugs) Darby, Its ridiculous. Isn't the point of speech therapy to help a child speak. Its not just your school system, In the beginning this IEP thing was new to me. I was so nervous and just let them talk. But now I'm so ready to attend my boys IEP mettings. I'm not going to just listen, I'm going to be vocal. I mayhave let things slide then, but I'm going to be ready. Best of luck on Brady's IEP meeting! :):) :):)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)