Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Okay...Brady has an IEP meeting next month and we are starting our "fight" to get him Speech Therapy at school.  He was denied speech therapy for this year, and we didn't really fight it...their point of view is that the entire special ed program for the kids is speech language based, and that Brady doesn't have anything specific to work on with the speech therapist b/c he doesn't talk yet.  Yes, they claim that he isn't advanced enough to receive speech therapy...is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard?  

My child will be 4 years old in October, and he doesn't say mama or dada or ANYTHING (other than his recent word of "go")...don't tell me that he doesn't qualify for speech therapy!  That's beyond ridiculous!

They want him to talk some before he starts speech therapy at school...how do you think he will start talking?  How do you think he learned the word "go"?  He learned it from his outside speech therapist!  

This is an oxymoron, and it infuriates me beyond belief!  My husband won't stop until they agree to give Brady Speech Therapy at school...just 30 minutes once per week is all that we're asking for!  

Has anyone else ever dealt with this?  Or is it just our school system that has jacked up criteria for speech therapy?

**Brady has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, & Brain Abnormalities/Damage.**

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
MommyRJ
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM
That is so rediculous.
Can you get him
Speech outside of school?
My son will also be 4 in October and just started talking. I really hope he gets therapy at school but I'm still waiting to hear from them.
Good luck tho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yes, he receives Speech therapy outside of school but I want him to get it at school too since he's there 3.5 hours each day 5 days/week.

Quoting MommyRJ:

That is so rediculous.
Can you get him
Speech outside of school?
My son will also be 4 in October and just started talking. I really hope he gets therapy at school but I'm still waiting to hear from them.
Good luck tho

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yeah, their reasoning for not providing my son with ST back then was that he wasn't talking yet. But, he has always been verbal (babbling, etc) and was beginning to talk. One of his therapists (actually the PT, lol) had her evaluation done at my house with Alex and the Director of ITP was the one evaluating her. So, I used the opportunity to bring up the ST issue for my son. Since he had been very verbal that day, there was no way he could say no! That is when he finally got granted ST just a few mos before aging out of their program.

That is great that he is getting oral motor therapy! Will that be in his IEP for school as well? I had to fight to get that in my son's IEP, too. It seems like it's always a fight to get something.

I did have a friend in Virginia who was always fighting the school system over Speech Language Therapy for his daughter. Apparently, they had been battling them for years over it and she was 8. She also had DS. Unfortunately, our friend passed away a few years ago and I haven't spoken to his wife in a while, so I don't know how it is going right now, whether they successfully got what they were asking for or not. They are in Northern Virginia, though.
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM

i was just going to tell you to have all of outside therapists, doc write letters- or better yet if they can go with you!!! don't ever back down!!! i hate to say it but just sometime saying u will talking to a lawyer will get their butts moving(i think we only use this twice while krista was in school). also  just so ever knows that the schools have to provide service through their 21 birthday not when they turn 21. if they are 21 at the beginning of school they are allow to go- this is a federal law. there are some that will fight u on that.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Believe it or not, there's a little boy in Brady's class who has DS and he gets speech therapy at school b/c he does say a few words!  He will be 4 this summer as well.  I will definitely have his neurodevelopmental pedi and speech therapist write letters to the school...great idea!  His ABA therapist will be present in the IEP meeting for sure!  His OT/Feeding therapist is awesome she does do oral motor stuff with him!  Thanks for your help:)

Quoting jjamom:

Infants and Toddlers were very reluctant to give my son speech therapy as well. Apparently it was standard procedure for them to deny children with DS, even though many kids much younger with other diagnoses were getting it). We fought for it and got it (but only for the last few mos before he ended their program and started ECI). Our Geneticist was going I write a letter on Alex's behalf. He was infuriated that our county was still trying to do that, even though he had written letters for quite a few other kids, who ended up getting it also. I think they will always try to get away with the minimum that they can.

If he has a private SLP and she is noting progress, I would ask her to either write a letter or attend the IEP meeting with you (my son's SLP did this once, in place of his therapy that week and charged us a regular session fee for consultation). She can give her expert opinion that Brady has been in ST with her and is making progress. Since he is in private ST, does he have a script for it from his Pediatrician? I would take a copy of that as well.

While it is true that many programs have a strong ST base, it is not always enough and what it will end up meaning is that your son 1) is not guaranteed any services and 2) your son will not get any 1:1 services with the SLP.

As for the "he's not talking, so he doesnt need ST", that is just ridiculous and if they know what they are talking about, would know this is not true. They can do oral motor therapy with him that will help strengthen the oral muscles and get them ready for speech. Many highly qualified SLPs will start children with disabilities on oral motor therapy as early as months old. Is he getting oral motor therapy from an OT?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

We're on the southern part of Virginia...Hampton Roads area...hubby is military.  Good idea on putting the oral stem stuff in his IEP!  Thanks for that!

Quoting jjamom:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yeah, their reasoning for not providing my son with ST back then was that he wasn't talking yet. But, he has always been verbal (babbling, etc) and was beginning to talk. One of his therapists (actually the PT, lol) had her evaluation done at my house with Alex and the Director of ITP was the one evaluating her. So, I used the opportunity to bring up the ST issue for my son. Since he had been very verbal that day, there was no way he could say no! That is when he finally got granted ST just a few mos before aging out of their program.

That is great that he is getting oral motor therapy! Will that be in his IEP for school as well? I had to fight to get that in my son's IEP, too. It seems like it's always a fight to get something.

I did have a friend in Virginia who was always fighting the school system over Speech Language Therapy for his daughter. Apparently, they had been battling them for years over it and she was 8. She also had DS. Unfortunately, our friend passed away a few years ago and I haven't spoken to his wife in a while, so I don't know how it is going right now, whether they successfully got what they were asking for or not. They are in Northern Virginia, though.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Thanks...GREAT idea!

Quoting kimber2465:

i was just going to tell you to have all of outside therapists, doc write letters- or better yet if they can go with you!!! don't ever back down!!! i hate to say it but just sometime saying u will talking to a lawyer will get their butts moving(i think we only use this twice while krista was in school). also  just so ever knows that the schools have to provide service through their 21 birthday not when they turn 21. if they are 21 at the beginning of school they are allow to go- this is a federal law. there are some that will fight u on that.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Believe it or not, there's a little boy in Brady's class who has DS and he gets speech therapy at school b/c he does say a few words!  He will be 4 this summer as well.  I will definitely have his neurodevelopmental pedi and speech therapist write letters to the school...great idea!  His ABA therapist will be present in the IEP meeting for sure!  His OT/Feeding therapist is awesome she does do oral motor stuff with him!  Thanks for your help:)

Quoting jjamom:

Infants and Toddlers were very reluctant to give my son speech therapy as well. Apparently it was standard procedure for them to deny children with DS, even though many kids much younger with other diagnoses were getting it). We fought for it and got it (but only for the last few mos before he ended their program and started ECI). Our Geneticist was going I write a letter on Alex's behalf. He was infuriated that our county was still trying to do that, even though he had written letters for quite a few other kids, who ended up getting it also. I think they will always try to get away with the minimum that they can.

If he has a private SLP and she is noting progress, I would ask her to either write a letter or attend the IEP meeting with you (my son's SLP did this once, in place of his therapy that week and charged us a regular session fee for consultation). She can give her expert opinion that Brady has been in ST with her and is making progress. Since he is in private ST, does he have a script for it from his Pediatrician? I would take a copy of that as well.

While it is true that many programs have a strong ST base, it is not always enough and what it will end up meaning is that your son 1) is not guaranteed any services and 2) your son will not get any 1:1 services with the SLP.

As for the "he's not talking, so he doesnt need ST", that is just ridiculous and if they know what they are talking about, would know this is not true. They can do oral motor therapy with him that will help strengthen the oral muscles and get them ready for speech. Many highly qualified SLPs will start children with disabilities on oral motor therapy as early as months old. Is he getting oral motor therapy from an OT?

Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Grrr I wanna hit the for you!!! OMG that is the most ridiculous thing ever! I dunno what to say or how to fight for it though, but fight it tooth and nail!

Ty only gets 45 minutes a month with a speech therapist but 120 minutes weekly in the classroom with the teacher or aide. Just being in school for Ty has helped immensely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM
That is ridiculous! Do not sign off on the IEP until you are satisfied with everything in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Oh we won't!

Quoting sammygrl77:

That is ridiculous! Do not sign off on the IEP until you are satisfied with everything in it.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting darbyakeep45:

You're welcome. I hope he gets everything he needs!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN