Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Okay...Brady has an IEP meeting next month and we are starting our "fight" to get him Speech Therapy at school.  He was denied speech therapy for this year, and we didn't really fight it...their point of view is that the entire special ed program for the kids is speech language based, and that Brady doesn't have anything specific to work on with the speech therapist b/c he doesn't talk yet.  Yes, they claim that he isn't advanced enough to receive speech therapy...is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard?  

My child will be 4 years old in October, and he doesn't say mama or dada or ANYTHING (other than his recent word of "go")...don't tell me that he doesn't qualify for speech therapy!  That's beyond ridiculous!

They want him to talk some before he starts speech therapy at school...how do you think he will start talking?  How do you think he learned the word "go"?  He learned it from his outside speech therapist!  

This is an oxymoron, and it infuriates me beyond belief!  My husband won't stop until they agree to give Brady Speech Therapy at school...just 30 minutes once per week is all that we're asking for!  

Has anyone else ever dealt with this?  Or is it just our school system that has jacked up criteria for speech therapy?

**Brady has Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, & Brain Abnormalities/Damage.**

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Replies (21-27):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My son started getting speech therapy at 3 because you couldn't understand a word he said. It wasn't through a school since he didn't go to school yet. I went to an independent hearing and speech center and had him evaluated. It was determined he had issues and they went from there. They went to his daycare and came to my house for therapy.

sayres
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM
It just seems ridiculus that we have to fight so hard for what our children NEED! I have heard the argument before about their program being speech and language based so there for a child doesn't need S/T. But it would seem to me that the schools speech therapist could be doing the same kinds of things your private speech therapist is doing. Is there any chance she could come with you to the IEP?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NErye4
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I'd be FURIOUS!  Elena is non-verbal, will never talk due to her TBI and even she receives speech therapy.  Speech therapy is more than just talking, its auditory stimulation as well.  Also, how does he do with chewing and swallowing? Because its all related.  

There is no way that would be acceptable if I were you, fight for what you want him to have because YOU know what he needs and what will help him excel much better than any school professional.  Good luck, keep up the fight!

boeschindiana
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

It is so frustrating!  keep advocating, complaining, doing what you can at home - that is all you can do.

Good Luck, Vikki, Speechtails.com

willysmama
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Willy didn't receive speech til he entered in the school system. We couldn't get them to agree that he needed it. we fought for it and he receives speech once a week for 30 mins. But the speech therapist is in the classroom daily with feedings and she does speech exercises with the whole class while they are getting cleaned up from eating and before they eat. This next school year they gave him 45 mins per week for speech

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Brady does say a few noises and a few things like "ga ga" and "go" but that's about it...never thought about the device!

Quoting blessed2bhismom:

Ya exactly has anyone ever suggested a communication device Riley hospital speech therapist recommended the vantage light for tj we have only a few signs I am considering it but as I am sure you are aware if aba is not a big promoter of such devices

Tracey122
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so ridiculous!  Maybe you aren't missing much if that's the way they think!  : )  However, you are really his best teachers, according to our speech therapist.  His site is Communicating Partners.  He says you get in your child's world by imitating what he does, then wait (sometimes a long time) for him to respond.  If it's just a small sound, make the same sound.  Then add on another sound and build from there.  It will teach your child conversation skills (back and forth, taking turns) and will encourage and reinforce sounds that will turn into words.  Good luck, and I hope your school gets a clue!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)