Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

chewlery?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi, there.  My 5 year old son with Down Syndrome has lots of sensory issues, really loves those squishy balls from Target.  He squeezes and spins them, but also puts them in his mouth.  A lot.  I am looking into other options for chewing/sucking.  Anybody have success with chewelry?  I have tried the chewy tubes and those are effective but I'd really like something he can have with him, so i am not running around giving him a chewy tube all the time.  And something squishier, preferably.  I see there are different chewable jewelry options out there, wondering if anybody has tried it and if your kids liked it.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

No, I never knew that exsisted. Here is a bump for more responses.

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

We don't at this time, but I think there are mommas here who might know more!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I just know of the chewy tubes...you can put them on a necklace like a shoe string or something and put it around his neck so he always has access to it!

Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would suggest tying the chewy tube (P's and Q's are a bit softer) around his neck with a necklace- that's how my son always wore his. The chewelry is a major bummer because of the way it's all coiled, it fills up with saliva and then they inevitably pull it out of their mouths all fast and spray everybody in a 10 mile radius!! Super yucky and embarrassing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michele115
by Michele on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I never heard of any of this. That's why I'm glad I'm here. My son with down syndrome is 19 months old and sticks everything in his mouth.

jjamom
by Michele on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Quoting michele115:

I never heard of any of this. That's why I'm glad I'm here. My son with down syndrome is 19 months old and sticks everything in his mouth.

Chewy tubes are great for oral motor exercise as well as giving them something safe to chew on. Ask his OT about it, sometimes they will give you one!

Has your son cut any teeth yet? My son (also with DS) was 19 months when he cut his first tooth - which was a molar!
kalista
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Thanks, elyssa, for the feedback. I think he would want something squishier than the chewy tubes; they are pretty firm. I may end up trying some different things. Gotta be something safer than what he's chewing now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed2bhismom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:55 PM

my son chews on everthing also and we chase him around the house handing him his chewy tube so i fell ya on that one good luck let me know how cheewly goes

lifeisajoy
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Hope you find what works--never used them but my son (age 19 years) did put a lot in his mouth-use to--no more though

Hottubgodess
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:14 AM
My son chews for concentration . He didnt like the chewlry because it pinched his neck (it is softer but he has sensory issues -severe tactile dysfunction) we use some airline from a fish tank and a small t as a connector - it breaks apart if it gets caught on anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)