Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Special Needs Kids Raising Special Needs Kids

Ugh, freaking out and need reassurance.

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

Some of you may know we have been having issues at our sons hospital with seeing the GI on call when admitted. They have stiffed us 3 times now. Then turn around and blame us. I finally coudlnt' take it after this last stay. When we got Ty's NG placed, we never saw GI! The attending came around 4pm and tells us he isn't coming til the next morning! We wanted to go home! We learned everything and wanted home! Well every time I have called because of an issue with Ty, the nurse says "well, cuz you guys didn't want to wait for a GI consult" and that is NOT what happened! He didn't see us! We were told all day he was coming and he didn't!

Well I called teh complaint line and let them sternly (but very professional) let them know I was upset. We're admitted for GI and no GI ever comes and it is faster for us to get care at home and call our own GI (who works at that hospital). Well the GI manager called back today. She tells me what happened with the visit 3 weeks ago and that is no big deal now that I know but they admit we should have been notified (on call GI called our GI and she said he didn't need to be seen by them).

Last week however, she said the GI was going to see usbut by the time he got there we had left irritated. What time did he get there because we didn't leave til 7:30pm! After shift change! I shoudl have spoken up when I was taolking to her but I hate confrontation. I mulled it over and called her back and told her how the only person I said anything to about being nervous or annoyed about not seeing GI was our nurse. Then our attending came in and told us he wasn't coming! But I expressed we were ready to go home rather than stay another night and see him the next day. We wanted our home and our own beds. And I let her know we didn't leave til 7:30 that night.

What I really hate about all of this is they know specifically this is about my son and me. The GI's they talked to now know this plus our own GI knows. So now I am fretting that they think I am some demon crazy whiner lady. I worry our own GI is going to get upset or something. I worry we're going to be treated differently now (in a bad way, not good). And I am now wishing I never said anything! I just need reassurance that I did the right thing? GI has stiffed us 3 times now! I am being told all day they are coming and NO ONE can answer my question because only GI can and then they don't show?!

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM

First off, take a deep breath mama, and know that you are doing all of this for YOUR child!  I would have done the same things you did...to be honest, my husband would have shown his butt at the hospital and demanded to see the GI doctor when we were supposed to!  He's NOT nice about things when it comes to Brady...only if we've already been promised something and then it didn't happen.  He doesn't put up with anything!  You did the right thing...don't worry about it!  They need to do their jobs and make sure they are getting back with you when they are supposed to!  I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this!  Big HUGS!

mandee1503
by Amanda on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this

*hugs* You did the right thing. I wouid be on someones @$$ about it the whole ordeal. That's ridiculous they told you the GI would be by, they never showed, then tried to blame you.

Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks gals so much! I just got off the phone with the manager and told her the rest of it about how we didn't leave til 7:30pm and that attending around 4pm told us no GI was coming etc.

I really appreciate the reassurance. I am not the confrontational type at all! Hell I cry if something happens on cafemom! I even let her know too that I don't complain ever but finally enough was enough! They believe it is all probably a communication error and I agree with that. I also made sure she knew we did NOT leave that night because we hadn't seen GI, we left because we wanted to be in our own beds again.

natesmom1228
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM
That stinks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyssa414
by Elyssa on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM
You absolutely did the right thing! That's why they have a complaint line- they need to know How their actions affect their patients! I HOPE that because you spoke up, you will be treated better next time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM
You did the right thing. They need to know what happened so they can correct it and make sure it doesn't happen again. ((Hugs))

I hate confrontation too, but sometimes it is necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Chelle on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks gals, I really appreciate the reassurance. I know I will frett again when she calls to give me more info on last week;s situation but at this point I don't care to hear anymore, you know? What's done is done, they know and are looking into it, I don't wanna know anymore, LOL! But I am feeling better now. Especially from the hugs and reassurance here

sayres
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I really feel for you. You are doing what's best for Ty. I HATE confratation too but you are doing the right thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andyroosmama
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You did what was right. If I am understanding, this is almost a life or death situation, yes? I have had only 2 experiences with a bad pedi... and unfortunately it was the same pedi but 8yrs apart... I took no time in filing a complaint with the hospital she was affiliated with and the state... The 2nd could've killed my Robbie. You shouldn't feel bad for speaking up for your son, somebody has to. hugs

Hottubgodess
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM
From one "neurotic mom" to you - keep fighting :) dont accept poor treatment. ((Hugs)) I know theschool hates to see me coming in. Oh well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN